'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Elk Haven Horse camp

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-30 7:17 PM
4 replies, 4612 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

montyandmisty
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-06-16 7:19 PM (#85770)
Subject: Elk Haven Horse camp

Has any one ridden at Elk Haven Horse camp near Custer State Park in the Black Hills? I have been thinking about going there this Fall and would like to hear any feedback from anyone who has stayed there. Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-06-16 8:30 PM (#85772 - in reply to #85770)
Subject: RE: Elk Haven Horse camp

Veteran

We stayed there in 2004. I think the owners have changed since we were there. The campground is nice, the sites are kind of on a hillside and some are tight to get into with a big trailer. The pens were covered with huge tarps when we were there but I think storms and hail have torn off alot of them since we stayed. There are several trails from there and you can ride to Mt. Rushmore or into the NE corner of Custer park. I don't have anything bad to say about Elkhaven but we stayed at Broken Arrow last year and we liked it way better. Lots more riding with marked trails, nicer campsites and horsepens and way easier to get to. But wherever you stay in the Black Hills you'll have good places to ride. We're supposed to go back in September but not sure if we'll be able to afford the diesel.
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-06-20 11:45 AM (#86071 - in reply to #85770)

Veteran

Campground is nice, some shady sites. Lots of sites out in the open. The part I didn't like was that you had to ride the same trail out every day to get to the other trails. It was a good 1/2 hour on gaited horses. I have also heard good things about Broken Arrow.

j&j
Steve
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-06-20 9:40 PM (#86102 - in reply to #85770)

We stayed there 2 yrs ago. Mona and company were very nice and very accomodating. Try to get a shaded site. Many sites have a tarp cover and the one that didn't in our group , she covered for us. Most sites are easy to get into we have a 23' lq trlr, and 2 others had mtrhms w/trlrs. Nice showers and laundry, has a store and good food. Lots of riding in every direction , we crossed the road and rode for 2 days there, never on the same trail, lots of riding above there place if you like to wander . If you go ,don't take , I think it was 16A ask her for the other route which is much easier w/trlrs. Hope to go back there again soon.
Steve
barngirl
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-06-30 7:17 PM (#86694 - in reply to #86102)

IMO, French Creek in Custer State Park has better facilities. You can make a reservation at http://www.campsd.com/.

We stayed at Elk Haven last year. The sites are tough to get backed into. Our's was only semi-shaded. All are on a hillside so there was literally a drop off on one side of our trailer. Elk Haven was originally set-up for RVs years ago. I never had a hot shower and I didn't think the showers were very clean. The store and cafe were nice amenities, though.

Hay Creek Ranch is nice, but you have to follow 4 miles of Forest Service roads to get to the ranch. The roads are slick when wet and one lane only, so you hope you don't meet anyone coming from the opposite direction. Hay Creek has great cabins with kitchenettes if you want to splurge for that. http://www.haycreekranch.net/

We've never stayed at Broken Arrow, but we considered it.

Nemo Guest Ranch looks good, too. http://www.nemoguestranch.com/

This place looks kind of neat. http://www.nemosd.com/rates.htm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World