'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Adding propane to an all electric trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-24 9:07 PM
4 replies, 4268 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-01-24 9:42 AM (#75203)
Subject: Adding propane to an all electric trailer

Veteran

Is this doable without breaking the bank. Mainly interested in changing the water heater out to propane. Don't really have to have the fridge, but how hard/costly would this be to do??
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-24 10:14 AM (#75208 - in reply to #75203)
Subject: RE: Adding propane to an all electric trailer

Expert

It's doable but there are many variables when you consider costs. Your present interior will dictate where and how the new heater will be added. You will need x amount of room for the components you wish to include. You may have to sacrifice some existing space for this installation.

A gas installation involves several components, starting at the tanks. You will need a space on the outside of your bulkhead to mount a tank(s). This will involve a supporting bracket, regulator, flex hose and rigid black pipe. Inside, where you will mount the heater, you will need a cold water supply, and gas pipe access to it; a vent and hot water supply from it and electric controls remotely mounted.

You will have to cut a hole on the outside of the trailer for the installation and a new hinged access panel will be installed.

Most gas refrigerators easily outperform electric refrigerators. If you decide to switch, this would be an ideal time to do so. Again there are several things involved, which would include the appliance, a new vent system exiting through the roof and a gas supply.

This is an installation that should only be performed by a technician experienced in gas appliances, It is not for the backyard DIYer because of the safety hazards involved. A RV mechanic will be charging for his time and materials. This could involve a couple of days depending on the present configuration of the interior, and what has to be moved/removed..

You will not want the least expensive installation, you will want the best.

BOL  Gard

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-01-24 2:53 PM (#75232 - in reply to #75203)

Veteran

Thanks Gard- you are so helpful and knowledgeable! Seems like it would be easier to find another trailer, but this one sure has everything else that I need. The only good thing is that I found out that the people that put the LQ in this one are the same ones that put mine in my trailer and we do have the propane fridge and hot water heater. I know that I could call them directly and see how much all this would be to do, and since they have done all the other work on this trailer, they would already be familiar with how it is set up!

Thanks again for your input. I learn alot from you on here!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-24 4:41 PM (#75240 - in reply to #75203)

Expert

You're welcome SM.

If you know of a LQ facility with whom you are familiar and trust, I would certainly contact them about your conversion. They install these components on a daily basis, and are familiar with the regulations concerning gas installations.

If you are happy with your trailer, I would think that these modifications would be far less than the cost and the hassle of a replacement trailer. You know what you have now, and you would be replacing it with an unknown quantity.

BOL    Gard

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-01-24 9:07 PM (#75249 - in reply to #75203)

Veteran

I am very happy with the trailer that I have, but am trying to downsize. My son has it at college and I had wanted to sell it before he went and get him something to college rodeo out of, but the right one never came along. Sooo I had to send him with something, thus I am still trying to find him something so I can sell the bigger one. I like the sound if this one however I would like the propane for hot showers, etc...Also, when he comes home for the summer we could still travel in this one all together if need be.

I am going to check with the guy who put the LQ in and see what and how much would be involved?

thanks again!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)