'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer feels "jerky"??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-27 11:24 PM
4 replies, 3771 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jetgetset
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-11-25 11:34 PM (#71801)
Subject: Trailer feels "jerky"??

I just bought a new/used trailer, everyone else that has pulled it says it pulls like a dream.. However on my truck going up or down hill it is VERY JERKY!! It almost feels like there is "slack" somewhere as if you keep pulling on it no jerking or not as much..
I have a fold down ball in the truck, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. But this same thing has happened while pulling a flat bed with the same truck as well.. I'm almost leaning towards something wrong with the hitch rather then the truck or trailer.. Any suggestions??
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-11-26 1:01 AM (#71803 - in reply to #71801)
Subject: RE: Trailer feels "jerky"??

Expert

First of all, the pin for the gooseneck in the bed might be worn, or the receiver might be allowing it to "slop around" when hooked up..

Next area I would look at is the mounting bolts for the pin plate.. If they are loose at any point and let it move a bit you will get this kind of problem..

Third is that the welds on the gooseneck might be breaking somewhere and allow it to flex a bit..but you said this occurred with another trailer, so I'd ignore this for the moment...

You also might check the springs and axle bolts on the trailer,  if they are loose then it might be moving a bit, and with the length of the trailer you would get an "amplified symptom"

Out of round trailer tire ??  Probably not...
Severely unbalanced trailer tire ??  Probably not...

The brake controller, well not sure that would be a cause, as it "usually" just applies the brakes when needed..

Best bet is to have a mechanic check your hitch and then check over the trailer, check the tires, bearings, springs, welds, and all that.  You might find the problem that way, but it might just be one of those things where everything is good but the combination makes a problem appear.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-11-26 5:21 AM (#71805 - in reply to #71801)

Expert

The "Fold Down" type gooseneck balls are well known to do this, get in the bed of your truck and wiggle from front to back the ball, if it moves at all imagine that movement being multiplied by the weight of your trailer. I have seen these type goosenck ball move up to an 1/8 of an inch(very bad). The plate that folds over to capture the ball gets worn and causes this. A simple fix is to have a good welder weld the ball in the UP position, but then it won't fold down.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-11-26 11:44 PM (#71866 - in reply to #71801)

Extreme Veteran

My old 2 horse GN did this... I was not sure if it was the truck or the trailer, but now that I have a new trailer (also a GN) I can tell it was the old trailer. I can't say exactly what caused this problem though, but my new trailer is about the same weight, maybe a little heavier, and it has not "jerked or tugged" while am towing.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-11-27 11:24 PM (#71947 - in reply to #71866)

Expert

I do not know a lot but it sound like the size of the ball is not right for the trailer and the ground is on and off
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)