'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need advice/opinions on trailers I'm considering - Help!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-06 12:33 PM
4 replies, 2922 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bkdamkr
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-05 10:00 PM (#56748)
Subject: Need advice/opinions on trailers I'm considering - Help!

New User

We're shopping for our first trailer and have found a '91 Logan Trojan II, a '90 Logan Malibu, and a '90 Charmac bumper-pull, 3-horse slant load (don't know model name). All are reputed to be in very nice condition, all are about $3K, all are about 2 hours drive from here.

Can anyone tell me a little about these trailers? I can't find a web source that will let me directly compare the Malibu and Trojan II of that vintage, and I don't know anything about the Charmac trailers.

Are there obvious features or factors that would steer me toward one or the other? I only have one horse, soon to be two, unlikely to grow to three anytime soon.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Brian & Trish
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntinfool
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-03-06 12:56 AM (#56752 - in reply to #56748)
Subject: RE: Need advice/opinions on trailers I'm considering - Help!

Regular

I had a Logan bumper pull for a couple of years . I liked the trailer for what it was . The construction and quality of the trailer was pretty good . Being a steel trailer it was fairly heavy . In Utah I have noticed a lot of the Logan's with rust problems . The one I had started to get a lot of rust on the surface . A buddy has a older Charmac , and he has been happy with it . Good luck with the trailer search.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-06 7:25 AM (#56755 - in reply to #56748)

Expert

I cannot help you out with opinion on the particualr trailers. I dont' know anything about them. But as far as what features you should have, I might have some helpful advice. First- what are you doing with your horses? Showing? Trail riding? Any kind of competition? If you're going to be showing, then your needs are going to be different that if you're just hauling to a place to trail ride. I assume your not looking for overnight or camping features. In my mind, I'd want windows and ventilation for the horses while being hauled about. I'd want a nice place to store tack and stuff, easy access and roomy as I can get. Personally, I don't want a ramp but doors that swing open and stay open ( or when swung shut to close, actually close and not bounce back to me)I'd pick the trailer that seems to be the most solid of the three, not one that sounds hollow or rickety. If all three seem to fit the bill, then buy the one you personally like the best. It doesn't have to be a rocket science reason, but its your money so buy what you really like.
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-06 11:11 AM (#56773 - in reply to #56748)

One of my first trailers was a Logan brand. I had it for 9 years and loved it. It did get some rust on it but not a lot. I traveled with it all those years to shows and championships around the country. It was nothing-fancy very low end as far as style and features but when I sold it this spring I got a great price for it. Lots of people in Montana use the Logan and have for a number of years. They hold their value and look well. I have never had a Charmac but have seen a few of them in the valley. I think they age a little faster and don't retain that nice look. I have nothing against them, I even helped a client buy one, but I just think Logan is a better choice.

bkdamkr
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-06 12:33 PM (#56778 - in reply to #56748)

New User

Thanks, all.
I've found a 2003 Logan Somerset that was purchased new in 2005, and is essentially unused. It's more, of course, about $4500, but I think I'll go for it.

Brian & Trish
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)