'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Transmission Cooler

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-18 6:26 AM
4 replies, 2542 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sschilling
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-17 1:17 PM (#53983)
Subject: Transmission Cooler

New User

Newbie here.  I just purchased a 2005 Brenderup Royal HB and plan on hauling it with a Toyota V6 4 Runner.  The SUV was not equipped with a towing package, so I am in the process of having a Class III hitch, 2" Ball and necessary wiring installed.  My garage is hesitant to install a transmission cooler (I think it might just be a pain to get it in but am not sure), and wanted to know if it would be necessary.  I have a small Arab (maybe 850 to 900 lbs) and may haul a friend's horse from time to time.  Trips would include local rides and a few trips from Pennsylvania to the New England area (Maine and Vermont).  Also, if I am in a time pinch regarding the installation of a transmission cooler, would I be ok to haul the empty trailer (1,950 lbs) without the cooler form North Carolina to Pennsylvania?  The towing capacity of the 4 rRunner is 5000lbs.  Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-01-17 1:48 PM (#53988 - in reply to #53983)
Subject: RE: Transmission Cooler

Veteran

just my 2cents worth  i would for sure add the transmission cooler on it pulling...i had one put in a half ton dodge v8 about 5 yrs ago..its your truck though it may help you decide if you price the transmission cooler and than price a new or rebuilt trans.... good luck happy trails
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-17 5:21 PM (#53995 - in reply to #53983)

Veteran

I also have a v6 4-Runner with a factory tow package.  I think you could pull the trailer empty and be OK, but I'd plan to get the tranny cooler on before you start hauling loaded. 

Let me know how you're setup works out - My wife and I had looked at the Royal - I'd be interested to hear how well you make out when you're all setup and loaded.

Good Luck.

RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-01-17 6:17 PM (#54001 - in reply to #53995)

Veteran

I wouldn't pull anything without a transmission cooler and if your truck doesn't have one already, I would get a transmission temp gauge installed.
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2007-01-18 6:26 AM (#54024 - in reply to #53983)

Extreme Veteran

Get a Tru Cool and do it yourself so you know it's done right.Last thing you want is problems on the road because some incompetent person worked on your truck, and theres plenty of em out there.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=coolers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)