'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Rustproofing?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-24 12:47 PM
4 replies, 3497 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-22 9:07 PM (#47170)
Subject: Rustproofing?

Fall is rapidly approaching. The good news is there are 8-10 weeks of no bugs, cooler weather, and great riding to look forward to.

It is also time to think about having my new steel trailer rustproofed or oil sprayed. The local trailer place that does it will not start doing the work for a few weeks, but I should probably book a time soon.

Is there anything I should look for in a rustproofing job? Any questions I should ask?

Do they just spray the non-galvanized metal parts underneath, or is there more to it? Should they be spraying into all the drainage holes in the tubing? Should they drill more to spray into?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Chris

Edited by 10Ha.Wood 2006-08-22 9:12 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-23 8:44 AM (#47195 - in reply to #47170)
Subject: RE: Rustproofing?

Veteran

Spray it with OIL?  Really?

I'd rhino line/line x it ad never worry about it again...  Anything softer is still going to be compromised eventually, isn't it?  What do other folks have to say about this?

LAXPatrick

10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-24 9:48 AM (#47305 - in reply to #47195)

I'm talking about the bottom of the trailer, the frame, the insides of the hollow structural tubing, etc.

I've never heard of anyone using Line-x in this type of application.

I called the trailer place that does the rustproofing. They use a product similar to Krown or Rustcheck. They will spray everything that is exposed, and into any existing drain holes, but they will not drill new holes.

I'm thinking I should remove the interior Rumber liners so that they can spray behind them as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-08-24 10:13 AM (#47308 - in reply to #47170)

Regular

My father-in-law owns a Rustcheck franchise; subsequently every vehicle in my family is rustchecked to death!! LOL

We get our trailer Rustchecked too. They usually do the hinges, any tight corners/little areas that moisture can be trapped and cause corrosion, and of course most importantly the underside - supports, everything else. Well worth the money in my opinion. FIL also owns a body shop business and claims that the cars that are rustchecked always show less corrosion over time than those that have not (fully realize here that this could be his sales pitch ;)).

Rhino liner will NOT do the same job as rustcheck. Totally different products. My husband says he would not bother removing the rumber liners (you mean the ones that line the walls, right?) Rust Check and similar products are very good at working their way into corners and crevices. If they apply it correctly, it will work it's way under anything...but they may tell you differently, don't take my word for it. I DO know that the product "drips" a little bit for a couple of days afterward - don't park it on your new interlocking driveway :)

Edited by Gaelic 2006-08-24 10:16 AM
10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-24 12:47 PM (#47317 - in reply to #47308)

Originally written by Gaelic on 2006-08-24 11:13 AM

My father-in-law owns a Rustcheck franchise; subsequently every vehicle in my family is rustchecked to death!! LOL
Lucky you! I'm somewhat wary of paying to have this work done, as you really have to trust the applicator to do a complete and detailed job. I had my new truck done last summer and found large areas that were obviously missed. It makes me wonder about the details that I can't see.As doing the trailer is a simpler job I may try and tackle it myself. Either that or pay to have it done and then buy an aerosol can or two and make sure that all the details are looked after. Doing the whole job with spray bombs would probably be pricey though, and having the job done will only cost $59.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)