'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Silver Star Trailer Complaint

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-11 9:38 PM
4 replies, 4097 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-08-09 7:36 PM (#46319)
Subject: Silver Star Trailer Complaint

Veteran

I have a 2002 Silver Star StarLite Supreme trailer, purchased new in Feb of '02.

I was cleaning the trailer last weekend and noticed that the paint on the wheels crumbled off to reveal rust behind it.  That is complaint number one.

Secondly, the rubber pads on the fender flares have always been of poor quality.  They separated from their adhesive backing and have undertaken a wavy/warped appearance now.  The only solution is to remove them and get some that are made of a material less prone to expanding/contracting with changes in heat.  I'm surprised a trailer mfg would use something so poorly suited for the job on its trailers.

Third, decals on the driver's side have cracked.

Finally, the rubber trim pieces on the edges of the fender flares (by the tires) never have stayed in place.  Seems like Silver Star kept too much tension on them when they installed them, so they tend to pull off with trailer use.

Anyone else had these problems?  Solutions?  I think Rhino Lining would work well on the tops of the fender flares... although I'd think something like diamondplate would look nicer...

Mike

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 7:59 PM (#46321 - in reply to #46319)
Subject: RE: Silver Star Trailer Complaint

Expert

Same here with my 2000, 2033MA Star Lite Supreme. I used 3M black silicone adhesive for the black fender scuff covers. The dogs peeing on the wheels didn't help prevent them from starting to rust in spots! Seems to be a little worse on the side that the sun shines the most. My decals have cracks on the stainless steel nose. Never had any problems with the trim/edge pieces on the fenders. Mine sits out all the time, if it were sheltered it may not look as bad as it does, not that it looks bad. It would just look better sitting in a Morton Building. Gave it a good acid wash back in the spring and everyone thought it was new, I figured with it being six years old, some thing have got to start coming unglued. OH! Did I mention that I put four new 235-85 x 16 lr-E tires on it before our 1700 mile round trip in 101+ degree temps through the mountains last week. The tread looked perfect but the birthdays had caught up with them along with a slight bulge in the tread of the right rear where the belts had started to seperate. So.........You may want to take a real close look at your tires in the near future, your five years may already be up. The build date is tatooed in the side wall of the tire near the bead. this will be the week and the year, something like, 44 01. Fourty fourth week of 2001 as an example. Just because you bought a 2002 trailer doesn't mean that it has 2002 tires on it, they may be 2000 or 2001..........Go look!
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 11:01 PM (#46328 - in reply to #46319)

Extreme Veteran

Same here.  Not having trouble with the rubber around the fenders tho.  We are going to replace the thin pads on the fenders.  Texas heat and sun can do quick damage to paint and decals.
For the most part, it's cosmetic and I could care less.  It's still a VERY well-built trailer and that's what matters to me. 

Call Silver Star.  I've talked to them a few times to replace wear and tear parts, (which they shipped out to me FREE) their customer service has been excellent! 

Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 11:04 PM (#46330 - in reply to #46319)

Veteran

racesarabhorses,

We had the same problem awhile back on our trailer (94 Sundowner)with the trim coming loose from the fenders.

I would push it back in place and it would pull loose from another spot on around the fender.

I heated it up with a blow dryer and went all the way around it and it has stayed in place ever since. I think later on I'll put a small amount of adhesive on it just to secure it to the fender a little better. Keep in mind that some adhesives will corrode aluminum so be carefull to read the label warnings if you should decide to give this a try......Hope this helps,   Ardly

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-08-11 9:38 PM (#46435 - in reply to #46330)

Veteran

Originally written by Ardly on 2006-08-09 11:04 PM

racesarabhorses,

We had the same problem awhile back on our trailer (94 Sundowner)with the trim coming loose from the fenders.

I would push it back in place and it would pull loose from another spot on around the fender.

I heated it up with a blow dryer and went all the way around it and it has stayed in place ever since. I think later on I'll put a small amount of adhesive on it just to secure it to the fender a little better. Keep in mind that some adhesives will corrode aluminum so be carefull to read the label warnings if you should decide to give this a try......Hope this helps,   Ardly

Thanks, everyone.  These sound like common problems... if I were Silver Star I'd consider using different materials to improve the situation...

Will take the advice given here to heart... will also call Silver Star to see how likely they'll be to help with the warranty aspects.

Mike

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)