'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
difference in horse space 7 l/2 vs 8' wide w/mangrs

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-08 11:00 AM
4 replies, 2788 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rogerdodger
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-07-14 9:48 AM (#44613)
Subject: difference in horse space 7 l/2 vs 8' wide w/mangrs

I now have a 7 l/2 wide elite 4 horse with mangers.  My horses are between l5-2 to l6-2.  The space seems a lilttle cramped for the horses, especially where the wheel wells stick out in 2 middle stalls.

However, I thought I measured the "horse space" in an 8' wide "sales model", and the space was the same.  I like to untie my horses when I stop for diesel stops, because I think the horses need to get their heads down sometimes during a long trip.  they really can't with my 7 l/2 wide. 

Does anyknow know what the 8' gains in the horse area.  I hear it makes a big difference in the LQ, but i'm concerned about the horse area also. 

Please give me your thoughts on this issue.  Thank you. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
joe q
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-14 10:17 AM (#44614 - in reply to #44613)
Subject: RE: difference in horse space 7 l/2 vs 8' wide w/mangrs

New User

Hello i hope this helps. With the size of your horses they should fit in both a 7'6" or 8' wide trailer. What would make the differance is the diagonal and the width of the stalls. Some trailers have the same diagonal but differance width's  and this will seam like the stalls are smaller (38" wide might be 9'6" long on the diagonal and a 44" wide might be 10'6"). You can ship them with their head's a little looser so they could drop they heads if they wanted too. If you have any more questions you can email me back.

joe q

rogerdodger
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-07-14 6:52 PM (#44644 - in reply to #44613)

Thank you for your response.

What is the "usual" width between stalls.  For a performance horse, not a halter horse?  I know my l6 hand horses can't get their heads down if I untie them, because the stall is so short.  One of mine got her head stuck in the down position and seemed like she couldn't even get it back up because it was such a short space. 

dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-15 9:28 AM (#44674 - in reply to #44613)

Regular

I think standard is 39 1/2 width in slants.  I have a 16.2 1300lb stocky, long bodied quarter horse and shrunk my width to 37 1/2 and he still has ample room.
rogerdodger
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-08-08 11:00 AM (#46216 - in reply to #44614)

I have a question about the width and length of the trailes with the mangers.  I have one 7'6" wide and my l6 hand horse doesn't have enuf room to back up in her trailer stall and get her head down if I untie her.    One time she actually got her head stuck in the down position and couldn't get it back up, or was afraid to try.  Is this normal with the manger-type trailers.  just looking for input since i'm ordering a new trailer soon. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)