'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Receiver hitch class and GVWR-PLEASE HELP!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-25 8:49 PM
4 replies, 2551 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LassieLu
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-25 12:46 PM (#40910)
Subject: Receiver hitch class and GVWR-PLEASE HELP!

Hi,

I need help in determining the receiver hitch size.  The class size is not printed on the receiver (that I can see).  I called a trailer hitch store, they said to measure the inside opening which was 2" (it looks like their is a 2" sq. piece inside the outer piece).  He said it is a class III hitch, can do up to a tongue wt of 500lbs and trailer loaded wt. of 5,000.  He said figure 3000lbs for horses/tack, and then I could use a 1500 lb trailer or something to that effect. I want to make certain that this is the appropriate way to determine the hitch class.

The manual states a Class III  GTW of 5,000 max. and Tongue wt must equal to at least 10%, no more than 15%.  Also states that sway control and equalizing hitch are req'd for tongue weights over 350lbs.

2nd- This is on a 2000 Dodge Durango w/3rd row seating, 4x4.  Has 5.9L V8, 3.55 axle ratio.  Maximum trailer wt is 5600 lbs (per the manual), with Gross Combined Weight rating of 10,500lbs (for the axle ratio).  The door panel sticker says GVWR 6400lbs.

The guy I spoke with said a WDB will make it pull easier (hoping for a light weight 2 horse bumper pull, w/DR if I can find one light enough, mostly only pulling one horse approx. 1000lbs).  He said the WDB comes in a kit, appox. cost $350, and it would double the wt. we would be able to pull.  He said we would also need an adjustable shank which would run approx. $125.  And depending on the A-frame, that might need adjustments too.

I am in over my head now - between the book and the hitch store.

Can you please tell me what I really need?  Would I be able to pull up to 5600 lbs with a WDB safely if it is a Class III hitch?  Most of the trailers I have researched are running 2500-3000 lbs.  The lighter ones are usually lower quality trailers or don't have the storage I am looking for.

Please help!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-04-25 5:56 PM (#40922 - in reply to #40910)
Subject: RE: Receiver hitch class and GVWR-PLEASE HELP!

Expert

well this is somewhat difficult to do over the web, however if it has a 2" square reciever then "probably" it is a class III with a WC of 500/5000 and WD of 750/7500.  there really should be a sticker somewhere on the hitch, of course after 6 years you may not be able to read it if you find it.  you may try the dodge dealer and see if they have any info related to the factory hitch.  do you have the tow package?  7 pin connector, tranny cooler, etc??? how about a brake controller?  you seem to have all the other important numbers down.

as for the Weight Distributing Hitch,  i suspect youre going to want one.  looks like with one horse and tack youll be 4000-4500# range. most horse trailers have the axles way back, this puts alot of tongue weight on the truck,  (but it also makes it very hard for the trailer to start swaying) plan on the 15% tongue weight.  its all about leverage, i.e.  wheelbase and weight on the front axle, neither of which the durango has much of. 

it can easily be done.  check my sig, the loaded 6000# trailer has almost 900# of tongue.  i pulled it once with out the WDH just to see,  it wasnt as bad as i thought but my trailblazer had a limit of 400# before requiring a WDH.

good luck.  PM me if i can help in any way.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-25 6:12 PM (#40923 - in reply to #40910)

Expert

I pull a 28xx lb 2 horse aluminum trailer quite nicely with an '06 Durango.
It has the HEMI 5.7, a numerically higher axle ratio than the 3.44 you mentioned though I don't remember exactly what it is right now.
The factory frame hitch is good for a towed weight of up to 8700 lbs, I'd guess the derating on your's is due to the numerically lower axle and perhaps a non-HEMI engine - the hitch and receiver shouldn't be a problem.
So far I've only towed with 1 horse, 1 LARGE horse and the off-balance problem wasn't noticeable. I havn't rigged up a load distributing hitch yet, not sure that it is needed.
BTW, the '06 isn't particularly stable in cross winds, even without a trailer. Adding the trailer doesn't seem to make it much worse.
LassieLu
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-25 8:33 PM (#40930 - in reply to #40910)

I did call Chrysler...had them look up the VIN #, and they couldn't figure out what hitch class it was.  The local dealership said they guessed it would be a class II.  We bought it used and were under the impression that it was a factory installed hitch.  I am going to have to check what is in the truck again....will post info after I do.  I laid on the ground and looked for the sticker - the only one on it says to check the manual I think - nothing on it says Hitch Class -  
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-25 8:49 PM (#40933 - in reply to #40930)

Expert

Originally written by LassieLu on 2006-04-25 9:33 PM

I did call Chrysler...had them look up the VIN #, and they couldn't figure out what hitch class it was. The local dealership said they guessed it would be a class II. We bought it used and were under the impression that it was a factory installed hitch. I am going to have to check what is in the truck again....will post info after I do. I laid on the ground and looked for the sticker - the only one on it says to check the manual I think - nothing on it says Hitch Class -

That is STRANGE.
From the VIN they should be able to tell you what it left the factory with and I think there are a couple or three "tow package" RPOs regular production options.
I don't remember if the Dodge has this, but GMs have a sticker on the inside of the glove box (such an achronistic term) lid that lists the RPOs.
You can probably find an RPO list on one of the Dodge (truck) sites.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)