'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sundowner question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-09 8:26 PM
4 replies, 2829 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RideAPaint
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-09 6:49 PM (#40150)
Subject: Sundowner question

I'm looking for someone than owns a '98 oe newer Sundowner, straight load trailer on here. We're looking to purchase one, and I haven't gotten to look inside yet. The question is : Do the butt and chest bars work the same as they did on the older Sundowners?

We had a '92, and it was great. The chest bar could be unlatched and swung aside to allow you to walk through. The butt bar connected with a single pin design that was great. (This was a thoroughbred type trailer.)

Anyone??

Thanks in advance.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-09 7:45 PM (#40154 - in reply to #40150)
Subject: RE: Sundowner question

Veteran

We have a 2004 Sundowner 777 Gooseneck.  We have friends that have mid-late 90's bumper pull versions of this trailer.  All of them have a butt bar that removes with a single pin (each side separately)  All of them have a spring loaded horizontal retainer that releases the  chest bars (also each side separately)

Hope that helps.

Edited by arroyoseccofarm 2006-04-09 7:46 PM
RideAPaint
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-09 7:55 PM (#40156 - in reply to #40150)

Yes, that answers my question. I love that design.

Our horse has developed a bad habit of getting in the trailer, then just before you can get her hooked up, she'll back out. (Sometimes rather quickly....) So we started getting her in, then immediately closing the ramp. Then we could easily hook-up the butt bar. (For some reason, if we load her that way, she doesn't even try to back out.) Anyway, the Sundowner was super easy to hook the butt bar. 

On our current trailer the ramp is longer / higher, and the butt bar has to be hooked, then a pin put down in to secure it. The Sundowner is much better / easier.....

Thanks for the info.

arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-09 8:10 PM (#40157 - in reply to #40150)

Veteran

RideAPaint,

We have pretty large horses: German warmbloods.  We hunted all over North Texas and couldn't find a 777. Almost all of the trailers around DFW were shorter quarter horse sized trailers.  I found it on this web site in the inventory of a dealer in your back yard in Ohio. We have been very pleased with it.

Good luck to you and your horses

RideAPaint
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-09 8:26 PM (#40160 - in reply to #40150)

Yeah, there are quite a few over here in my area. The funny thing is, the one I want is over 6 hours away from me. (Figures.) Anyway, I love the Thoroughbred design trailers. Our current one (Name withheld) is the same basic design, but the butt / chest bars thing just bugs me too much. I'm pretty sure I have our current trailer sold, I'll be heading out soon to check out the Sundowner.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)