'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
First horse trailer - lightweight 2h

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-05-16 1:27 PM
4 replies, 4317 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kb1gra
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-05-13 2:26 PM (#151960)
Subject: First horse trailer - lightweight 2h

New User

Hi all--I am stuck on buying my first horse trailer. I have 1 horse, a 15.2h TB gelding, and would like to have room for 1 more. The non-negotiable in this picture is the tow vehicle. I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, with the 5.7L V8 HEMI engine. I think this vehicle should be sufficient for the local (within new england) hauling I would like to do, and purchasing a separate tow vehicle is not an option at this time.The relevant information for this vehicle is:Max. gross trailer weight: 7200lbsGVWR: 6150lbsmax GCWR: 12200 (class IV hitch)tongue load limit: 720lbsmax trailer length 30ftI do have the factory tow package which includes the following:3.73:1 axle ratioPower steering coolerTransmission oil cooler (auxiliary, external)Frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer type hitch7-way and 4-way plug harness (pre-wired for brake controller)I would like to purchase a 2h trailer with dressing room and tack storage. I am thinking that I'd like the weight to be right around 3000lbs or less so that I can comfortably load 2h plus gear and be about 1k lbs under the max load for this vehicle.can anyone suggest trailers that I should look at? I am completely overwhelmed. I am shopping with a hard limit of $10k for a new or used trailer.My preferences would be:all aluminumremovable dividers such that one horse could be shipped or tied loose in the trailer. I horse show often and the ability to put the horse back on the trailer and leave them there is a huge plus. I find that horses prefer this loose versus being crammed back into a stall to stand. dressing room with tack storageLED lightingMy horse weighs roughly 950lbs and I can't imagine that I would be hauling any horse larger than about 1300lbs.Thanks in advance!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
kb1gra
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-05-13 2:30 PM (#151961 - in reply to #151960)
Subject: RE: First horse trailer - lightweight 2h

New User

Apologies for the wall of text-- if anyone can tell me how to reformat that with line breaks I'd be happy to!
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2013-05-15 1:10 PM (#152006 - in reply to #151960)

Expert

Here is one a friend of mine has for sale, and it is breast cancer pink... no one is likely to steal it!

http://www.everycowgirlsdream.com/trailer.html

levigarrett
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2013-05-16 9:42 AM (#152047 - in reply to #151960)

You're in New England where Kingston brand trailers are readily available (MA),I have sold many used trailers but Kingston's are one of my favorites for the versatility, height, width and weight options as well as the price and resell. Also look into an aluminum skin Cotner there out of Revere PA and very similar to a Kingston though not quite the trailer a Kingston is and all well within your budget for a good used one. Gore trailers out of Whiteville, NC is an excellent choice and again ive sold many of those used as well. Featherlite and 4 Star are great as well and light weight all aluminum trailers but if the aluminum floor wasnt properly cleaned then theyre exspensive to replace once the corrosion and pin holes start and yes Aluminum does corrode from horse urine and water over time versus a wood floor that can be changed out in a few hours.
Dealing in used trailers I get to see more of how well a trailer holds up over time from all aspects of it(axles, hinges, floors, seams etc)
I based my answer off of where youre at and whats more readily available in your area as well as type weight and what my cusomers have expressed.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-05-16 1:27 PM (#152059 - in reply to #151960)

Expert

A Kingston is a good choice for a first and possibly only trailer you'll ever buy...:)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)