'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Wanting to "do it myself" trailer wall insulation

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-03-18 7:54 PM
4 replies, 4693 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

HyTec
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-03-16 12:26 PM (#150598)
Subject: Wanting to "do it myself" trailer wall insulation

New User

I purchased a used Featherlight 1998 gooseneck trailer with dressing room. The trailer was sort of " custom" for the previous owner. He had it gutted, no slant wall, put up rubber and extra aluminum in the dressing area and sealed the door. Made it a 2horse plus a box stall up front or open trailer.....We want to insulate the walls, put HDPE wall board from FarmTek on the walls and ceiling. My question is this.... Can I screw into the small beam like structures?? It just seems like it may decrease the strength of the trailer if I go making holes in the structural beams.... I am a woman-yes, but I have a husband that thinks this is fine to do. I just want to be SURE it's ok. If anyone can just give me an idea of what type of screws we should use, etc. I see on Featherlight's website they use some type of rivet.... I don't have access to that stuff!! This is an ALL ALUMINUM trailer. We want to eventually put in our own cabinets and walls in the front of the trailer as well. I will try and post pics of the trailer....Thank you!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2013-03-16 1:13 PM (#150599 - in reply to #150598)
Subject: RE: Wanting to "do it myself" trailer wall insulation

Veteran

Yes you can drill/screw into the posts to attach wall board, etc. The Post will be rather hard aluminum, so you will need to drill pilot holes before screwing into it. You should use stainless steel screws or a plated screw to prevent corrosion over time. Some self drilling screws will work, but I found too many would break before seating completely if not pre-drilled. You can cut insulation in strips to fit in between the posts. I used 3/4" foil lined insulation from Menards. All home builder suppliers carry it in some form. If you cut fairly accurately you can press fit it between the posts. If your not accurate, you can use foil tape to attach it to the posts. In the LQ I attached horizontal fir strips to the posts to give better mounting area to attach cabinets, paneling, etc. it also gives some room to route wiring, plumbing, and leaves a bit of air gap to prevent consensation on inner surfaces during temperature changes or cold AC usage. Good luck.

Edited by PDGx 2013-03-16 1:15 PM
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2013-03-16 6:56 PM (#150600 - in reply to #150598)

Extreme Veteran

I also used 3/4" foil backed insulation and the I used aluminium tape to tape it to each cross member. I ran the tape the whole length of the insulation from floor to ceiling. Easy to do. And Im a girl too. Did it myself.
HyTec
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-03-18 2:54 PM (#150647 - in reply to #150598)

New User

Thanks!! I am so glad I asked.... Makes me feel more confident if we drill holes in those beams :) I will try and up load some pics of the trailer from my laptop ( my iPad) doesn't seem to be able too!!
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2013-03-18 7:54 PM (#150657 - in reply to #150598)

Extreme Veteran

Oops, I thought you were talking about putting insulation in the dressing room of your trailer, not the horse compartment.

Edited by sinful 2013-03-18 7:55 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)