'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
WINTER BATTERY MAINTENANCE

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-11-13 12:19 PM
4 replies, 5994 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-11-08 10:49 AM (#148188)
Subject: WINTER BATTERY MAINTENANCE

Expert

In the North East, we frequently store our equipment over the winter months. During that time, the associated batteries can take a beating. If they are left unattended and the voltage drops, the electrolytes can freeze and the battery is ruined. If the battery is over charged, the electrolyte boils, the plates warp and the battery is rendered useless. With the cost of a good battery being substantial, a proper maintenance plan is cost effective.

Many of the new LQs have multiple stage converters, that do an excellent job of charging and maintaining their batteries. However to utilise these features, the entire electrical system has to be energised. Electrical components are rated on MTBF. (mean time between failures) The various components have an average service life before they fail. The converter and other electrical components that are energised whenever the trailer's electrical system is on, are expensive to replace, and are not all needed just to maintain a battery.

There is a much easier and less expensive way to protect your batteries. A small charger, called a battery float charger, is a stand alone devise that will maintain the proper voltage of the battery (ies). With its low amperage draw, it plugs into any common, inexpensive, smaller AWG extension cord, and doesn't require the 20 or 30 amp shore cord.

The charger clips onto the battery posts or leads, and the trailers circuits are completely shut down. In the Spring, the batteries are found to be fully charged, the electrolite levels are usually maintained, and they did not have to be removed from the trailer. Their longevity has been greatly enhanced.

Several years ago I bought two of these:

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-tender-jr-12v-0_75a-battery-charger.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=CPC&gclid=CJTK9qLmv7MCFYuZ4AodmTMAxw

They have worked very well and simplified my winter maintenance.

Three years ago, I bought several of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/battery/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

Each of them has worked equally as well, at a greatly reduced price. Presently they are on sale for $4.95, (coupon # 96698369) item lot # 42292/69594/69955

They certainly make life a little easier

Edited by gard 2012-11-08 10:52 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2012-11-09 10:25 AM (#148208 - in reply to #148188)
Subject: RE: WINTER BATTERY MAINTENANCE

Veteran

Thank you for this information.  My husband has been looking into the charger float things.  We just haven't decided which one we need.  Our LQ is a 2004  and we have never taken the batteries out to store them in the winter.  We keep the rig plugged into electric at all times, turning the battery switch off and on through out it's storage to keep it charged.  We have only replaced the batteries once since buying it new.  So if we buy the float charger, would that elimate keeping the rig plugged in on electric from the big cord coming out of the trailer?  We do keep our refridgarator on year round and it operates off of what power source is strongest.  Usually electric unless we have a power shortage.  So I don't know how that would effect using the float charger.
riverrat69
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2012-11-09 12:09 PM (#148210 - in reply to #148188)

Regular

One other question if I may. With a 2 battery system on my LQ, will I need 2 battery floats(1 for each battery) or will one keep both batteries charged?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-11-09 10:49 PM (#148219 - in reply to #148188)

Expert

If you have two 12V batteries in parallel, one float charger will maintain them both.

If you keep your fridge on all winter using a shore cord, you will not need an external battery charger. The converter will keep the batteries charged. Since you have experienced a good service life from them, your converter is working very well.

Edited by gard 2012-11-09 10:50 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-11-13 12:19 PM (#148292 - in reply to #148188)

Expert

thanks,Gard! really helpful,we store our LQ over the winter in a tractor shed,but,have had to replace the batteries and I have a notion it is for the reason you mentioned: keeping the trailer plugged up with the shore cord and "overcharging" them.I'll show this info to Don,glad to see you here and  posting your  useful info,as usual.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)