'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1 or 2 batteries

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-30 10:42 AM
4 replies, 3694 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bigdreams
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2012-03-18 7:49 PM (#142248)
Subject: 1 or 2 batteries

I am starting a weekender for our horse trailer and I need some advice. I wonder if I need 2 batteries or can get by with one? I am going to install a converter with charge wizard, but I do not plan on installing many electrical components. A few lights, a radio, and a couple 110 outlets that we won't use unless there is power. We do camp remote about half the time, but have been getting by with battery lights so far. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-03-18 10:06 PM (#142252 - in reply to #142248)
Subject: RE: 1 or 2 batteries

Expert

Follow the eight step program...:) http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html Switch reefer to LP and turn off unnecessary 12V appliances. Fully charge battery(s). Record the time. Shut off converter or battery charger (or unplug your RV if it's a cheapo with no way to switch it off). Run off 12 volts for 24 hours (or some convenient time) using appliances and lights as you would normally. Occasionally check a digital volt meter (see later) and record time when meter drops to each % Of Charge setting on chart (later in this poop sheet). Don't, though, go below the 50% level in this test. Simultaneously record the appliances you have running and how many minutes they run (that's each appliance, including number and type of lights, if you really want to do this right). When you reach the voltage that approximates 50% Of Charge (on chart later in this sheet), turn your battery charger back on. You now know how long you can run the house, in "normal" use, without charging, before chancing a "deep cycle." Do some simple math (below) to refine this and calculate where you can conserve electrical use to extend your time.

Edited by PaulChristenson 2012-03-18 10:08 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-03-18 10:24 PM (#142255 - in reply to #142248)

Expert

It all depends on how much and how long you will be using the DC. Our weekender has one battery, a common wet cell marine deep cycle type. Running interior lights, a water pump, water heater and fridge ignitions, it will last a couple of days.

Our other trailer has two larger batteries, the kind used in marine diesel installations. If we run the furnace all night along with the other appliances, the blower motor can draw both down in about a day. Not using the furnace can increase the useful battery life to four or five days.

When we last built a LQ, we installed one battery. The owner is a weekend warrier, and with three seasons under his belt, one battery has sufficed quite well. By judiciously using only the lights and water pump when they are needed, the batteries' working life can be extended. 

tdnranch
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-24 10:15 PM (#142459 - in reply to #142248)

New User

We only camp in remote (no electricity at all) areas so a solar panel was a must. Can get an 85 watt kit for around $350 and worth every penny. Most of our riding buddies do the same and one battery is just fine.

karynzoo
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2012-03-30 10:42 AM (#142649 - in reply to #142248)

Regular

Do you mount it on the top of the trailer or bring the panel(s) out for temporary mounting when you're set up at camp?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)