'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck blows fuse when hook trailer up

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-29 9:14 PM
4 replies, 4813 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dyarbro901
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2011-06-28 10:02 PM (#135252)
Subject: Truck blows fuse when hook trailer up

I have had a problem with the running lights on my trailer.  I have a 2001 Exiss gooseneck and a 2005 GMC diesel 3/4 ton truck.  I've had problems on two occasions that when I plug the trailer into the truck it blows a fuse and the running lights don't work.  I had this problem once and a trailer repair place worked on it forever to find the short and said they had to rewire the trailer.  I don't want to pay for that again and wondering what might be causing the problem.  My brakes, brake lights and turn signals all work - but am curious as to why this keeps happening.  I had someone check the 7 way plug and it's good.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
skippyvcu
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2011-06-29 7:00 AM (#135256 - in reply to #135252)
Subject: RE: Truck blows fuse when hook trailer up

Regular

Somewhere is the running lights circuit in the trailer you probably have the positive wire shorting out. It could be in one of the lights or somewhere in a wiring run where something has cut through the insulation. I would probably rewire the trailer.
yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-06-29 7:07 PM (#135281 - in reply to #135252)

Veteran

sometimes mice like to chew on wiring and they can really cause you some grief, I would at least rewire the running lights. Check and make sure if you have any wiring running thru channels or tubing especially where the wires enter or exit you might just have a wire rubbing against metal. Good Luck
gonzo1066
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2011-06-29 7:36 PM (#135283 - in reply to #135252)

Veteran

I have worked on several trailers with wiring problems.  The most common spot is at the right rear (sometimes left rear) of the trailer.  Some companies have wires that are routed under the lower bumper area of the trailer..  Often this gets dragged when crossing deep ruts or gutters.  This tears the wires.    One place to check.  there are many more..
dyarbro901
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2011-06-29 9:14 PM (#135290 - in reply to #135252)

Thanks, I will check those places - and hope it's really obvious or i'll just have to take it to someone to get rewired.  Ugh - i do love my trailer and i do love my horsecamping, but you really have to have lots of money and patience OR married to a handyman.  I'm losing both of the first two and my husband is a carpenter - quick to tell you not an electrician or a plumber!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)