'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer storage. Fabric shed or not??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-27 9:29 AM
4 replies, 9496 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gonzo1066
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2011-04-26 11:35 PM (#133595)
Subject: Trailer storage. Fabric shed or not??

Veteran

I would like to store my Platinum LQ inside.   My work shop is large enough but if the trailer is inside there is not enough room for other work projects.   I am considering a fabric shed, in part because I do not have to go through the permitting process in my county for a "temporary" building.    Does anyone have any experience with these buildings??   Comments welcome..

I am only considering the industrial quality building.  Not the consumer grade..

Edited by gonzo1066 2011-04-26 11:37 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-04-27 1:06 AM (#133597 - in reply to #133595)
Subject: RE: Trailer storage. Fabric shed or not??

Expert

Farmtek...make sure you anchor it as instructed... http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_tension_fabric_build...
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-27 7:08 AM (#133598 - in reply to #133595)

Expert

My Nephew has built a bunch of those.  He spent a year in New Orleans after Katrina and 6 months in Haiti after their earthquake standing these fabric buildings.  Mainly because they quick protetction, Easy to standup and cost effective.

I have no idea what they cost But he has built them for school Gyms, Churches and warehouse space. He claims they hold up very well.  Good luck with the project.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-04-27 9:20 AM (#133604 - in reply to #133598)

Expert

In our area, there have been many installations of fabric structures. These typically include automotive storage and agricultural buildings. The farm structures are usually built onto low concrete walls, where as the smaller units are self supported. Some are still standing and others have failed.

The differeces of success seems to be the quality of the fabric, and not so much the supporting structures. They all seem to pretty well endure our winters and snow loads, but some do not survive the constant UV sunlight. As the light breaks down the fabric's coating, the tensile strength suffers and soon after, the covering will shred.

When I looked into this construction, the more expensive structures included warranties of ten to fifteen years, with the least expensive offering only two year warranties. The physical differences went beyong the covering, and included the supporting structures. Differences in the tubing diameters, their wall thickness, along with galvanising treatments, powder coating etc, set apart the good from the not so.

This is one industry in which "you get what you pay for" seems very apropos. If you have a windy and very sunny environment, I might recommend a more permant structure like a pole barn. Its construction would probably involve taxing considerations, but its life span would be much longer. However if your tenure in horses is not expected to be a life time avocation, the fabric may be the better choice.

301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-04-27 9:29 AM (#133605 - in reply to #133595)

Veteran

I researched them a few years back and the price was almost as much as a wood or steel frame structure.  I couldn't really see the sense unless you want to have portability, then it would be more suited to the situation.  We have a local grain facility that put one up about 5 years ago to store 2 million bushels of grain.  It seems to have held up fair, they've put 2 new sections in it since new.  The repairs appear to be fairly quick, they just "laid and glued" new panels in place.  I would certainly price shop it against conventional construction before diving in.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)