'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
3/4 ton truck question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-30 1:56 PM
4 replies, 4481 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

leniH
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-26 9:00 PM (#133588)
Subject: 3/4 ton truck question

I'm looking for a 3/4 ton, 4WD truck to pull a bumper pull 2 horse trailer. My budget is less than $ 12K and it has been discouraging to see how few trucks in my area are 4WD. My question for the forum is, what are the other features I should be looking for? I was not following up on ads if they didn't list that the truck had the towing package. Is a tow package something I can add later? I understand that axel ratio affects towing ability and mileage but given that a 2 horse isn't a huge load does it matter in a 3/4 ton truck? If it does what ratio do I need. The list of trucks in my price range within a 100 miles of my home is already small, and after I toss out the 2WD and no tow packages I am ending up with no choices!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-04-26 11:39 PM (#133596 - in reply to #133588)
Subject: RE: 3/4 ton truck question

Expert

Originally written by leniH on 2011-04-26 9:00 PM

I'm looking for a 3/4 ton, 4WD truck to pull a bumper pull 2 horse trailer. My budget is less than $ 12K and it has been discouraging to see how few trucks in my area are 4WD. My question for the forum is, what are the other features I should be looking for? I was not following up on ads if they didn't list that the truck had the towing package. Is a tow package something I can add later? I understand that axel ratio affects towing ability and mileage but given that a 2 horse isn't a huge load does it matter in a 3/4 ton truck? If it does what ratio do I need. The list of trucks in my price range within a 100 miles of my home is already small, and after I toss out the 2WD and no tow packages I am ending up with no choices!!

Go back an search again and do not worry if the listing does not show "tow package" because 90% of the 3/4 ton and larger trucks on the road will have a "tow package".  A factory tow package will include a receiver hitch, 7 way RV style plug and most will have a tranny cooler in front of or around/under the radiator.

The axle will depend on the truck and engine options.  Again most later model 3/4 ton trucks will have somethiing around 3.55's or 3.73's, both are good for light to med. towing and not that bad on fuel/gas.  4.10's are more for heavy towing but your fule mileage drops.

Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-04-29 9:32 PM (#133674 - in reply to #133588)

Regular

I agree with the above. For what you plan to tow, just about any 3/4 ton truck should work just fine, with or without "tow package" (always check the manufacturer specs to make certain).

Btw, what a "tow package" actually includes varies greatly from model to model. Many times a "tow package" only includes a trailer hitch and the wiring, which of course can be added quite easily and inexpensively.  Some tow packages include a tranny cooler (or a larger one than standard) and/or a larger alternater. These also aren't all that expensive to add later, but again for a 2 horse bumper pull I would think any "standard" 3/4 ton truck would be fine with the baseline gear.

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-04-30 12:05 AM (#133678 - in reply to #133588)

Veteran

I hate to say it but look to Nevada and Arizona for your new truck. With the crash in construction, there are many a great trucks out this way for very low prices. I just came across a 2006 crew cab f350 lariat 4x4 LB srw 75K miles air bags B&W etc for 15K.

If you have cash the trucks are here... Craigslist is your friend
Butch
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-30 1:56 PM (#133693 - in reply to #133588)

It might be good to visit your mechanic and other horse people in your area for the info you want, and due you really need a 4 wheel drive.You might pay extra Insurance money for the 4wheel I also live in CA. As far as rear ends 3.73 and around that range should be fine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)