'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fiberglass roof wax?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-03 9:40 AM
4 replies, 4821 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-08-02 4:26 PM (#123105)
Subject: Fiberglass roof wax?

Elite Veteran

Is it true that us people that own trailers with a fiberglass roof are supposed to have a special "fiberglass wax" applied to the roof to keep it from getting damaged...I guess by the sun? I have an '06 Classic with a white fiberglass roof and have never had anything done to it. Please advise-
Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-08-02 7:34 PM (#123107 - in reply to #123105)
Subject: RE: Fiberglass roof wax?

Expert

A fiberglass roof is made up primarily of two products, a glass material and a resin. The resin is subject to UV degradation. The white colour reflects more than the darker colours, but after time, it will become damaged. This can be verified by wetting your finger and rubbing it over the roof's surface. If this results in a white powder on your finger tip, the resin is damaged.

This is very common in marine environments, where, even though most of the boats are finished white, the extreme exposure to the sun light and reflectivity of the water, combine for major problems. There are specific products that will remove the dead, oxodized resin and provide a new looking surface, while offering some future UV protection. The waxes are not particularly long lasting, as weather will eventually wash them away, and your efforts will have to be repeated.

Once the resin is damaged, the best and easiest protection is the application of a paint product. A marine paint has a high solids content, excellent coverage, good UV reflectivity and durability, and will protect your roof for many years. Other than the masking, it isn't much more work to recoat, than it is to wax and buff the whole area, and then do it again, and again.....

If the roof is not exhibiting any resin failure now, it usually will start within 5 or 6 years from new. If left unchecked, the resin will no longer support the glass fibers, and the roof will become flexible, most likely develop cracks, and will eventually need major repairs. The amount of time in which this will occur, depends on the OEM materials and your specific weather conditions.

Edited by gard 2010-08-02 7:36 PM
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-08-02 10:13 PM (#123115 - in reply to #123105)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Gard-
I will go and do the finger check to see. I bought the trailer new in '06. Wish I could afford to buy a garage or one of those metal carports to store my trailer in.
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-08-02 10:47 PM (#123118 - in reply to #123105)

Veteran

A Hawk dealer told me a once a year application of a good automobile type wax would be adequate protection for the trailer's white fiberglass roof.

How about a tarp-type trailer cover?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-08-03 9:40 AM (#123130 - in reply to #123105)

Expert

Here are many brands of waxes for fiberglass:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=Waxes&category=622&refine=1&page=GRID

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)