'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Smokey Mountains/N.C. side

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-12-08 12:02 PM
4 replies, 4312 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

KyQHRider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2009-11-30 2:29 PM (#113754)
Subject: Smokey Mountains/N.C. side

Does anyone have some info on any campgrounds in or adjacent to the Smokey's on the N.C. side other than the NPS primitive camps? Electric and water would be nice. Our group all have LQ trailers so shower/bath house is not necessary. Have heard that N.C. riding is more rugged than the TN side which is fine other than that leads me to wonder if any camps are easy to get into with LQ trailers. Have rode TN side and rented stock trailers to go to other trailheads. Is this the best way to ride the N.C. side also? Any info would be great.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-11-30 3:18 PM (#113758 - in reply to #113754)
Subject: RE: Smokey Mountains/N.C. side

Extreme Veteran

We went to a place called Deep Creek Stables this past July 4th.  It is in Bryson City NC.  The campgound is small but well maintained. The creek runs behind about 3 of the sites.  The owner is very knowledgable about the nearby trails. 

http://www.greatsmokies.com/horsecamp/

The trails were very scenic we really enjoyed our visit there.

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-11-30 7:03 PM (#113777 - in reply to #113754)

Extreme Veteran

We love to stay at Deep Creek with Mr. James.  He is so knowledgeable about the trails.  He also has 3-4 older stock trailers that he loans out (no charge) to travel to all the different trail heads.  We have been there twice and really enjoyed both trips.  My favorites to rideare the trails at Deep Creek and the Noland Creek area which are both very beautiful.  You can't beat his prices either.  If you go in the summer months you can go up the raod to the national forest and tube back down the creek to his camp.  I have rode both the NC side and the TN side around Cades Cove.  Personally I like the NC side better.
PAL
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-07 2:41 PM (#114042 - in reply to #113758)

New User

Deep Creek Stables needs to clean up the rat problem that it has. They run in the barn in the early morning and at night. That raises health concerns to both you and your horses. Also, the bedding that is provided is wet. The manure spreader is not emptied often and is located in the center of the barn and causes fly problems. I think this camp ground could do a little clean up and it would be a nicer place.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-12-08 12:02 PM (#114076 - in reply to #113754)

Extreme Veteran

I did not see any rats during my visit. But yes the shavings supplied are not good.  I always take my own shavings anyway.  For the price, this campgound worked for us.  We had the nice creek behind our rig and the trails were great. Mr. Clark will help you in any way he can.  During our visit, a main breaker (or whatever they are called) blew on the power pole.  Not Mr. Clark's breaker but the POWER company's on the main pole coming into the campground.  Mr. Clark had the Power company there within a couple of hours to restore the power.  Now that I think about it, I believe it was a transformer. Whatever it was, Mr. Clark was on top of the situation. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)