'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What's the right way to wire batteries

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-19 8:37 AM
4 replies, 3410 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-08-18 10:22 PM (#109616)
Subject: What's the right way to wire batteries

Expert

I bought a used trailer a while ago. It had a hydraulic jack with two batteries.  I'm having problems with the batteries allways being drained.  I had kinda thought it was just because they were 3 years old.  But I started to think, I'm not sure they are getting charged other than when I put a charger on them at home.

My past LQ always charged the batteries through the truck connection or generator,  My trailer before charged the batteries off the trucjk as I drove.

So I guess I need to tear into this trailer and see if it gets any charge from the truck while I drive and if not, find a way to make that happen.

From what I can see The two batteries each have a ground to the trailer frame.  The jack takes one red lead off battery # 1  The trailer takes a lead off battery #1 to the pos post on battery #2 and then through a fuse and inside to the lights. ( DR, Horse compartment and load lights)   The wiring harness from the truck 7pin connection, runs into the frame and I assume to the brakes and tail lights.  I see no obvious connection back into the battery.  The lights do not work (regardless if the truck is hooked up and running or not) if the battery is dead.

So what is the right way to charge from the truck while driving?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-08-19 12:35 AM (#109624 - in reply to #109616)
Subject: RE: What's the right way to wire batteries

Expert

Since the interior lights don't work from the truck if the trailer battery is dead... tells me either the truck is NOT supplying power or the wire size/truck power is too small to charge the batteries and lights.

I think you'll have a hard time driving enough time for the truck to charge two batteries to your needs.  You would be better served by having a charger on your trailer charge the batteries from utility power.  Then your batteries can get an equalizing charge.  And a longer life.

Another thought is: the trailer batteries are self-discharging between the two batteries.  Is there an isolator between the batteries?  A pair of 6 volt batteries in series is better than two 12 volt in parallel for this reason.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-08-19 8:01 AM (#109631 - in reply to #109616)

Expert

No Isolator, Just a jumper wire from Pos to Pos post and a common ground for the two Negative post.

The truck is putting out power.  It charges the batteries on my other trailers.  Dump trailer in particular, has a battery to run the hydaulic ram that dumps the trailer.  It's a single 12v battery but charges totally off my truck.  And it gets much shorter drive time between uses.

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2009-08-19 8:11 AM (#109632 - in reply to #109616)

Extreme Veteran

The fact that the truck charges other trailers tells me your horse trailer isn't wired for the to be charged from the truck.

When I did my conversion that's the way I wired mine...charges from the converter only.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-19 8:37 AM (#109639 - in reply to #109616)

Expert

One thought would be to pull the load lead off the battery, feeding the lighting and jack circuits. You may have a partially grounding circuit that is draining your batteries. This can be verified by placing a meter in series with those circuits when everything is turned off. If a load is detected, you have a grounding source.

Also with the B+ cable. If you check your truck's source feed, you should have a 13.8 voltage reading with the truck running. If you don't have this, then obviously, the batteries are not being charged. You can then check the trailer wiring to the plug for an open feed.

gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)