'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
High Horse Camp, Iron Mountain

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-27 8:56 PM
4 replies, 3953 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-06-28 10:32 PM (#107212)
Subject: High Horse Camp, Iron Mountain

What should I expect? Nice camp? Are trails rough-high and narrow? Rocky or grass to ride on. Will my horse need shoes? Worth the trouble? I am not a big mountain person-have pretty severe vertigo.Thanks, Deb
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-06-29 12:19 PM (#107259 - in reply to #107212)
Subject: RE: High Horse Camp, Iron Mountain

Veteran

If you go to Iron Mountain,Shelia and Danny Odem can tell  you where to ride on the trails that are not steep. There is many,many miles of trailes, You will love the campground as it is beautiful and well maintained. We go there several times a year.  I personally think Iron Mountain is one of the best places we have ever camped. We take our grandchildren and they play in the stream that runs thru the camp or fish in the pond that is in the middle of the campground. There is a well stocked Tack shop with very reasonable prices.

The trails at High Country are the Mount Rogers Recreation area. I do not see them as steep but they are on long inclines. Your horse needs to be good shap.There are many miles of trails here and you had best get a map. High Country is nice, has all the aminities, there is only two trails out of camp to access all of the Mount Rogers area. Any way, the horses need to be shod. There are some very rocky areas. If you like riding, you won't be disappointed at either place. The trails and views are beautiful. There are wild ponies and blueberries at Mount Rogers. I have stayed at both campgrounds multiple times and wish I was  on my way to one of them today. Darn,,, have to work again.

dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-06-29 1:07 PM (#107271 - in reply to #107212)

Thanks. I am sold! :) deb
trailride4fun
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-07-21 9:51 AM (#108296 - in reply to #107271)

We will be at High Country September 5-September 12. This will be our 3rd time - the riding is beautiful. Your horses will need shoes.
D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-07-27 8:56 PM (#108632 - in reply to #107212)

Regular

I just got back from High Country, had a great time. You have to see the ponies at grayson highlands. It is worth the ride through the rocks to see them. We will be there Sept 3-7. I would be glad to show you the trails.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)