'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Repaint Steel Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-20 2:03 AM
4 replies, 4996 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

taimat
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-16 3:27 PM (#101484)
Subject: Repaint Steel Trailer

New User

I'm looking to repaint my 1995 Circle J Arrow 3 Combo trailer (all steel), and I am looking for advice.I plan on doing this myself, and I am going to sand it down / grind off rust ( and then seal rust with a converter).I have heard that implement (farm equip) paint is a good choice due to it's ease of use (adheres well, stands up to abuse).Thoughts?Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-03-17 8:00 AM (#101551 - in reply to #101484)
Subject: RE: Repaint Steel Trailer

Elite Veteran

Do yourself a favor and take it to a pro... We had ours done  by a local body shop two years ago, it still looks great. They wet sanded it, filled bad spots, took all the trim off, and painted it with a high grade auto clearcoat paint. We also had them work over the inside and spray white bedliner. We then put new wood on the  stall walls, new pads, and lined the feed bunks with lexan... riveted in. If you are keeping the trailer, it is worth the $$$$$. I am certain that our next two horse bumper pull will be an aluminum, we just didn't want to put the money out since this was our second trailer. Good luck.
taimat
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-18 2:43 PM (#101699 - in reply to #101551)

New User

Money is more of an issue right now, and I am relatively handy. I got quotes ranging from $2500 - $5000 to sand, fix, paint. I know that would result in a much better look than I could do. Anyone here painted a steel themselves?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-18 3:45 PM (#101703 - in reply to #101699)

Expert

You can do the work and save a lot of money. I redid a 3h BP steel trailer a few years ago. I didn't shoot the exterior paint, as I don't have a dust free, indoor space, large enough to hold the trailer.

Mine was badly rusted, so I had it media blasted, inside and out, top and bottom. You can't abrade all the rust by sanding. That added $1k to the cost. I added some improvements and the welding costs were about $250. I also added Lexan windows which I made. This was also about $250.

The paint and misc. material costs were about $1k. I used a single part automotive urethane paint that colour matched our two tone truck's colours. The interior was originally brown which was changed to a creamy white. It made a large difference in reflectivity, and available interior lighting.

I would highly recommend a stand alone HVLP spray outfit. I have three systems and find all give better results than my conversion gun. Instead of running my two stage 60 gal compressor, I turn on a motor that is little different than a powerful vacuum cleaner.

If you don't have one, you will need a good 5" random orbit sander. It works better than the 6" in getting around curves and into tight places. If you use PSA sandpaper, it is about 1/3 cheaper than the cost of hook and loop. Purchase the open gold paper, not the gray stuff found in hardware stores. Ebay is a good source. I use Mirka brand. You will need a lot of sandpaper.

By doing all the prep work, priming, conversion coating, masking, pin striping, painting the interior etc, my total costs were just under $3k. At that time we were planning on keeping the trailer indefinitely, so the costs would have been amortized over many years. We had already owned the trailer for about 13 years.

BOL  Gard

canrunnr
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-03-20 2:03 AM (#101797 - in reply to #101484)

New User

I just repainted my 3 horse trailer w/dr. Prepping is the hardest. My boyfriend does this as a business, doing auto paint, but I had to do the majority of the work. We wet sanded and ran a disc sander over it to make sure the paint would adhere to it. Took a round 2 inch steel brush that hooks into a drill, and went over the rust spots. We used tractor paint and hardener from Tractor Supply. Cars take about 3 coats of paint. The tractor paint took 1 coat on the trailer. I bought 3 gallons and we only used one and a half. We later had to touch up one panel and used a mini roller on it. You can't tell we touched it up with a roller. It blended so well. The label even says you can use a roller. We undercoated the fender wells and seam sealed the roof joints. The preparation is the longest, most tedious task. According to the paint label, you don't have to do all the prep work but we did as I wanted it done right. I now have what looks to be a brand new trailer and it only cost me about 300.00 total in supplies.

ETA: Boyfriend and a colleague of his both quoted me around 3000.00 to have it done by someone else.

Edited by canrunnr 2009-03-20 2:16 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)