'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Double Cabin or Turpin Meadows or ??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-23 11:45 AM
4 replies, 7319 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

foxy54748
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2009-02-22 8:07 AM (#99866)
Subject: Double Cabin or Turpin Meadows or ??

Hey - just sitting up here in COLD Wisconsin waiting for it to warm up and doing my regular winter search for places to ride.  I've searched this site for info on Double Cabin and Turpin Meadows in WY.  Just looking for more info on trail conditions, loops vs. ride out and back on same trail, horse containment options, etc.  We are experienced trail riders, traveling with LQ and gaited horses.  Any additional information would be appreciated or suggestions on other areas in the Tetons that are a "must ride".  thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-02-22 11:49 AM (#99885 - in reply to #99866)
Subject: RE: Double Cabin or Turpin Meadows or ??

Expert

I don't know anything about Double Cabin,  but turpin Meadows I can tell you a little about.

This sits on the very edge of the Teton Wilderness.  If you ride the trail into Yellowstone from here, you can get to the FARTHEST POINT in the 48 States from a road.  The most remote spot.  but there are very few loops.  It's mostly out and back.

You can ride out the Clear Creek trail and just past Clear Creek Lake there is a cut off trail that  drops over into the North Fork Buffalo River. The North Buffalo Trail will take you back to Turpin Meadows.

Turpin Meadows has numerous corrals that are available on a first come basis. There is plenty of room to park large rigs.  If I remember correctly it's about 7 miles of gravel road to reach.  There are lots of open area to ride. If you just want to wander amongst the trees or along the buffalo river. And with a resonable drive, there are numerous other trailheads and trails that you can access.  Such as the Two Oceans Trail that starts over at Jackson Lake. Most folks who use the Turpin Meadows use it as a trail head to access the Teton Wildernessa and Yellowstone Park for pack trips. So there are lots of truck trailers parked, but most of the people are gone as they make their week long pack trips.

We usually use Turpin Meadows as a place to camp with horses and trailer to other trail heads for day rides.

Trails are well used and easy to follow.

The wild flowers aer stunning around the end of July and early August

Once you leave the trail heads, there is lots of lush meadows.

foxy54748
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2009-02-22 1:19 PM (#99892 - in reply to #99866)

Painted Horse - thanks for the info - Maybe I should ask this....  If you were traveling from WI to WY for a two week timeframe for trail riding where would you suggest?  Preferably a location with enough riding so we don't have to move too often. We have ridden at Hunter's Corral, Battle Park, Jack's Creek, Dead Indian, Bucking Mule Falls, Bob Marshall Wilderness, and this past summer in Idaho Lolo pass area. We'd like to ride in the teton's or western WY.

Thanks so much - you are a wealth of good information!!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-02-22 4:44 PM (#99905 - in reply to #99866)

Expert

My opinion is baised. I live in Utah so I frequent South Western Wyoming because it's a short drive.

I also don't mind moving my trailer, every day or two. I'm not worried about setting up and staying put. I spend the night, load the horses and head off to a new trail head. sometimes I come back to the same camp for the next night, sometimes I find a new spot. Most of my trips are long weekends. Not week long trips.

I know nothing about the area North East of Yellowstone. Dubios, The Beartooth, Double Cabin etc.

Turpin Meadows is close to the park.  You can ride a couple days from Turpin Meadows and not repeat the trails. But they will be in/out trails, very few loops.

A 30-45 minute drive and you can be at jackson lake, Two Oceans trail heads out from there. Beautiful trail.  A view of the Grand Tetons from Grand View.

A little farther drive and you can take the Flag Ranch Road west to Ashton ID. Lots of trailheads along that road with trails heading north into Yellowstone Park. Again most will not be loops. But with a 15-20 minute drive you can have a new trail head every day. And while it's difficult to camp with your horse trailer in Yellowstone Park, There are numerous trails that you can ride your own horses on in the park to get away from the beaten path If you are willing to trailer into the park daily. Up Slough Creek in the Lamar Valley, Out Mary Lake trail in the Hayden Valley

Union Falls South West corner of Yellowstone

Crossing the Bechler River in Yellowstone

South East of Jackson is the Wind Rivers and Popo Agie Wilderness.  Lots of trail heads with lots of beautiful remote country.

The Utah Wyoming boarder has the Uinta Wilderness. Numerous trailheads and you kinda get away from all the tourist. This is Red Castle in the Uinta Wilderness.

You can ride into the Idaho side of the Teton from Tetonia or Driggs Idaho up into Alaska or Granite Basin. Incredible views.

It just depends on what you want to explore. I never stay in an official campground.  We just pull off into the trees.  So I am always primative camping. I'm not looking for hookups.

What week of the summer are you thinking of coming. Turpin Meadows is a good starting point.  It has some corrals, Horse water and I think even people water. It's only 7 miles of gravel road. Not a bad road.  Most any other place I recommend, won't have any corrals. You will have to highline.

Edited by Painted Horse 2009-02-22 4:52 PM
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-02-23 11:45 AM (#99987 - in reply to #99866)

Extreme Veteran

We went to Double Cabin last year(2008). Here is a link to another web page that we used to post info about Double Cabin. You can view the link as a guest, you don't have to register.

http://gaitedtrailriders.yuku.com/topic/1064?page=1
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)