'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Another Trail Ride bites the dust

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-14 8:46 PM
4 replies, 4020 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-09-10 8:39 PM (#91283)
Subject: Another Trail Ride bites the dust

Elite Veteran

I wish I was dealing with dust! Got more torrential rains forcasted for 5 days!! Got a 1/2 tonight in just 20 minutes with more on the way. Kansas City area is being pommeled by TS Lowell for the next three days and then we'll get smacked by Ike.

Although, I know it is worse on the Coast, I'm just frustrated that every organized trail ride we have planned on going too has been canceled or shortened due to excessive rain. I'm bummed.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-09-10 8:50 PM (#91285 - in reply to #91283)
Subject: RE: Another Trail Ride bites the dust

Extreme Veteran

I have some friends on a ride in New Mexico and they may not be able to get out because of flash flooding! The road out of the ranch is in a river bed and is under water right now. We are getting ready for Ike down here now. Hope he's not to bad.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-09-11 7:17 AM (#91294 - in reply to #91285)

Expert

One of my favorite places to ride had a flash flood a few weeks ago. I'm glad I wasn't in the canyon at the time.

The canyon is now 6-8 feet deeper than it was previously. I've been going up this canyon for 50 years and never seen this kind of errosion. There was a forest fire up the head of the canyon 3 summers ago. I guess that area just couldn't hold the heavy rain we had a couple weeks ago and everything let go.

This used to be a single track trail that I worried about getting slapped in the face with branches.

Most the trail now is terrible erroded.   You can see the old soil level  about 6 feet high. We rode up the bottom of the canyon and had to periodically climb up and out of the new rut.

My friend is riding a 16.1 hh horse and is 6'2" tall and see how small he looks against the erroded banks.

So we are still riding, but with new challenges.

Edited by Painted Horse 2008-09-11 7:20 AM
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-09-11 9:57 PM (#91364 - in reply to #91283)

Elite Veteran

Mother Nature has been really hard on our trails this year! While I have some erosions and muddy bogs to contend with, I have never seen anything like those ruts!! Wow - that was some forceful and rapid moving water.
Tuffyspop
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-14 8:46 PM (#91486 - in reply to #91283)

Regular

Our trailhead at Cuivre River State Park is flooded right now.  It's where we usually camp and ride...I took the TWH out on a road ride to survey the local creeks here in East Central MO...we found a lot of evidence of flash flooding, and the creeks were tick full to overflowing. 

Not much we can do but wait it all out.  Hopefully, the best of riding season (Fall) won't be interrupted by too much rain.  A town to the north has been evacuated because of flash flooding on the Cuivre.  4 feet over flood stage.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)