'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Space Savers - Show off your ideas

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-05 8:31 PM
45 replies, 13934 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-03-22 8:34 AM (#39288 - in reply to #38867)
Subject: RE: Space Savers - Show off your ideas

Veteran

I sm so excited to go next weekend to the HHF.  My new trailer will be there waiting for me to take home afterwards!  :)  SOOOO I am going to be able to "shop" for stuff and see if it fits that day!  :)

I use the ziplock bags.  It is easier so that way if we alternate getting up early to feed, it is so easy to grab the bag and go without confusion.  I use the large Gallon Size bags so that way you can put everything you need in it.  I also did this when I went out of town and had a friend feed for me.  OR if I knew I would not be home, hubby could handle it easier!  :)

I see no problem with as soon as the horses are out, hang the "tarp"/canvas and go.  What about Industral strength Velcro?  Just an idea on the slats to keep bugs out and to also keep privacy to your mini home!  :

OK for those that show WP, those that have those different color blankets, where do you store all of them?  I have tons of colors, I have 2 blanket bags stuffed full.  Any ideas where to store those?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-03-22 9:06 AM (#39295 - in reply to #38867)

Expert

Where do you fid the industrial strenght velcro?
brisco
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 9:04 PM (#39340 - in reply to #38867)
Subject: space savers- show off your ideas

Regular

What is WP? 

Have fun at the HH event!  It will be exciting getting your new trailer.  What is it like?

Still don't know how to use plexiglass in the stock-combo I bought!  Somebody, help!

Elaine

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 9:23 PM (#39346 - in reply to #38867)

Extreme Veteran

Elaine,

I have a stock combo and took my slats out and put them under my mattress.  I have drop windows and slats on one side.

It might sound dumb but some friends and I took a ride around the block in back of each of our trailers to see what the horses experience.  We noticed something in each of our trailers and mine didn't have enough circulation with the slats on the butt side on.

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-22 10:13 PM (#39349 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

I have a stock trailer with a 4' dressing room. I made clear side covers with stainless snaps. (Marine grade vinyl).  This worked very well for 5 years.  They finally needed replacing and I went to plexiglass last year. I have a trailer that I couldn't attach it to the outside. I went with tinted 1/4" plexiglass. Keeps the heat down and its hard to see into.  I took my measurements and had them cut it. I did not get it framed but now wish I did. (I will this spring). I bought the framing and attached the bottom track to my trailer.  I doubleside taped the top track to the glass and have thumb screws that hold it there. It works great. I have a long side that I am going to get cut down to store easier when I take them down.  I didn't get the back door done yet and never thought of lack of circluation. I have a cover that fits (VELCRO'S) over the back when we go camping.  I use the back as a separate room (clean out from horses and throw outdoor carpet down). We have had dinners in there during bad weather.  

Edited by Rockinghorserun 2006-03-22 10:15 PM
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-03-23 1:45 AM (#39358 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

WP is Western Pleasure.
Did you mean saddle blankets or horse blankets? I have seen HUGE ziplock bags that you could get a horse blanket in.
What kind of trailer are you getting? I had my trailer ordered by the HHF last year but ordered the interior for the LQ there.
If any of you are trail riders and are going to be there, come over to the Indiana Trail Riders booth and say Hi. And if you aren't a member-Join up!n We would love to meet you and have you in the group. ITRA promotes trail riding in the state and works with the DNR to keep and get more trails in the state. Stop by for more info and tell them Alice sent you.
brisco
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-23 5:57 AM (#39361 - in reply to #39349)
Subject: space savers- show off your ideas

Regular

Rockinhorse, sounds like you have been doing something very close to what I intend to do.  What is the back-door cover made of? What material is the plexiglass frame made from?  Is this something Home Depot employees would be able to tell me?

Air circulation probably won't be a probem cause you don't have to cover all openings all the time, right?  I would cover the openings when camping or bad weather call for it.  Sometimes, cover some leave others open.  I'm assuming the plexi is easily placed in and out.

Thanks for your tips.

Elaine

milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-03-23 3:59 PM (#39400 - in reply to #39358)

Alice, thanks for the ITRA info!  I will be at the HHF and will definitely check out the booth and use the opportunity to join up!

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-03-23 11:39 PM (#39420 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

About the collaspable (sp) trash cans someone was talking about- I got my at Rural King and it was cheaper and bigger than the ones that I'd seen elsewhere. It might have been a "leaf bag". I just put a big trash bag in it to keep it clean(er).
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-03-24 1:31 PM (#39458 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

Did anyone ever answer the question about the best/cheapest/easiest way to install plexiglass?  I have nowhere locally that I can buy it for a reasonable price, so I will be ordering from this website ($17.48 for each 24x48" sheet): http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/acrylicsheetoneeighthinchthick.html  If I could avoid having the shop install it, I'd certainly be happy!

Here's my rig.  The trailer is a 1997 Bonanza steel stock trailer.  Even though almost always it's just me and one horse (me camping in the front), I can't permanently install anything cool in the front half.  I need to remain flexible with that space... sometimes I need to haul two horses both in box stalls.

Camping, for us, is ROUGH.  LOL   I'm thinking of getting a "Tent Cot" this year.  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=191855  Cool eh?  I'll probably get the one-person size though.

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-03-25 4:38 AM (#39487 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

O.K. Sharon, lets see if I can explain what I've seen done so you can understand me.

You first need to decide what side you want the Plexiglas on, in or out. If the inside you will need smooth headed bolts.  The PG would lay against the "wall" with a long bolt through it and through a block of wood. Wood is however long your slats are wide plus 2-3 inches. 2-3 inches wide. You turn the wood blocks up and down to the slats and tighten with a wing nut. This will pull the PG snug against the slat on the inside of the trailer with the wood block on the outside. I can see this in my head but don't know if I've explained it well. If I haven't let me know< I'll try to say it another way!

I used to camp in the front of my old 14 ft. gn. Hauled the horse in the back 1/2, put my stuff in the front and when I got to where I was going cleaned out the back and I had 14 ft of space. I used curtains and those magnets with clips. Hung those curtains up, nobody could see in and I would get a breeze if the wind was blowing. It was not shut up like it would be with PG. I put a tarp over the whole thing to keep rain out ( only put it up if weather warranted it) and camped quite a few years at CCTR like this. Had a mattress in the gooseneck of it with a piece of carpet on the nose floor. I had a bamboo mat that I put down on the floor and ran an extension cord in through the slats. Pretty cozy setup.

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-03-25 5:01 AM (#39488 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

Thanks for the description. What if I want the plexiglass to be easily removeable, like on rails or something?
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 10:36 PM (#39569 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

The wing nuts on the wood blocks make it easy. Just loosen them and turn the blocks so they slip through the slats a wa-la!
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-03-29 9:08 AM (#39715 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

OH MY GOSH, I get it now!  I read this the other day and was so  confused.  LOL  This method does sound easy!! 
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-03-29 11:50 AM (#39723 - in reply to #39569)

Expert

OHHH, now I get it. (sometimes I'm slow) That's simple.  Thanks for the idea.
luluwhit
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-03-29 3:04 PM (#39733 - in reply to #38867)

Sharon  What i had always done with my stock trailer was put it up in sections about 4' long,  I had drilled holes that matched up on the outside of my slats and ran a tie strip thru the holes and around the slats of the trailer.  pull the quick tie tight and cut off the excess length.  i put em up and took em down at will.  I also found that i left the one on the head side of the horse in year round and removed the butt side for airflow in the summer.  be sure to drill the plexiglass at room temp and slowly or it will crack.
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-04-05 3:29 AM (#39977 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

Hey qhgirl!

Did you get your new trailer? Details, Details, we need details........

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-04-05 8:11 AM (#39982 - in reply to #39977)

Veteran

Originally written by inIndiana on 2006-04-05 3:29 AM

Hey qhgirl!

Did you get your new trailer? Details, Details, we need details........

OH yes... and I love it!  :)  Made a thread about it.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=4771&posts=3

Pictures are also in my album - http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=55

Tried to stop by a few of the mentioned booths, but seemed to not catch people on those days.  I ended up going every day for one reason or another!

threehorses
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-05 1:15 PM (#39994 - in reply to #38867)

Mine is just a silly addition to the thread, but I felt like sharing. :) My dogs and I have discovered a new 'space saving' idea. We have two chihuahuas and a new very basic living quarters trailer that includes a corner shelving unit. When I went to have my first 'sleep out' in the horse trailer (in the driveway - i know, I'm such a dork, but I was pretty excited) I brought a dog pillow in for The Boys to sleep in it with me. I put it in the bottom shelf (which is just trim height above the floor) and said "kennel up" and sure enough, they jumped onto the pillow, snuggled under their blanket, happy as could be! That's it - it's theirs now. The boys are sure enjoying their own private den in "the little house" and I'm sure enjoying my new trailer.Have a nice spring, y'all!Nathalie in Houston
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-04-05 8:27 PM (#40005 - in reply to #38867)

Elite Veteran

Nathalie-I think it's a GREAT idea. Just wish I could get my dog to quit hogging the covers!
threehorses
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-05 8:31 PM (#40006 - in reply to #40005)

Originally written by terri s on 2006-04-05 8:27 PM

Nathalie-I think it's a GREAT idea. Just wish I could get my dog to quit hogging the covers!

Well, I'm in trouble now. One of the boys ("Dawg") learned how to jump up on the step and up into bed. We'll never have a moment's peace now! :) He's a total side-clinger. heheh At least if he hogged covers there wouldn't be much missing. LOL

Have a great week.
Nathalie
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World