'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping etiquette question

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-23 12:04 AM
43 replies, 13702 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-11-13 7:55 PM (#127044 - in reply to #126883)
Subject: RE: Camping etiquette question

Expert

Since the wife has no interest in going horse camping with me, I sold the LQ and just sleep in the DR.

I've spent many a night at 10*-15* with no furnace.  I just use a good sleeping bag. And yes it's cold when you have to get up in the morning.

That reminds me of a story. 10-12 years ago, i was elk hunting. It was 14* that night. I heard my horses nicker. Suspecting that one was loose, I got up. quickly slipped my feet into my boots, grabbed a big flashlight and stepped outside. Understand, I'm in my underwear and boots only, just taking a quick check of the horses.

I shine the light on the highline and count, One -Two -Three - Four - five sets of eyes.  Wait a minute I think, I only brought 4 horses!  As I'm watching the 5th set of eyes trot off and around to the front of my friends Toy Hauler trailer.  He smells the ground where my friends threw out their dishwater and decides to roll. As the loose horse rolls, he caste himself under the tongue of their trailer.  He thrashes a little trying to get up and is kicking the crap out of the trailer. Breaking the muffler off their generator. He finally hits his head on the tongue and cold cocks himsef.  I run over to check, realizing he is still alive, I figure I'd better get him out from underneath the tongue. So I'm tugging and pulling on this strange horse, and I get him rolled over where he is out from under the tongue. He wakes up, jumps up and runs off.  I'm laughing so hard, that I can't hardly talk.  My buddies of course had woke up with the kicking on the trailer. Open the door to see me standing in 14* and 8" of new snow in my underwear and boots just laughing.  They are wonderng what is going on and I'm laughing to hard to tell them. I just wave and go get back into my warm sleeping bag.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-11-14 6:39 AM (#127049 - in reply to #127020)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by trot-on on 2010-11-12 9:51 PM

hot flashes have been keeping me warm at night.

Ha Ha Ha....
TheOtherHorse
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-11-14 7:06 AM (#127052 - in reply to #127044)

Regular

Great story, Painted Horse! lol
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2010-11-14 8:51 PM (#127068 - in reply to #126883)

Expert

Walmart has the hand warmers that you can put in your pockets.  They sell bigger ones sold as body warmers.  I used a one of those in our sleeping bags the last time we went camping in 30* weather and we were toasty warm.   Didn't help much when I had to get up but I got a good nights sleep with it.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-11-14 9:03 PM (#127070 - in reply to #126883)

great story Painted Horse;  thanks for sharing.

Back to OP;  if you are using federal lands/parks, then you can pack in some of those areas.  Take a look at the federal parks website for information on pack camping. 

Edited by rose 2010-11-14 9:04 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-11-14 9:10 PM (#127071 - in reply to #126883)

the following is from www.forestcamping.com

Forest Information

he Ottawa National Forest is located in the northwestern portion (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan and borders on Lake Superior. It is comprised of 982,895 acres. There are 27 developed campgrounds, 18 of which meet the selection criteria.

Retaining much of the pristine beauty of turn-of-the-century northern Michigan woods, Ottawa National Forest offers an interesting contrast to some nearby forests. Known for its hearty people, Ottawa offers a variety of recreation opportunities in a lush hardwood forest. These activities include good fishing, a robust wildlife populations, spectacular fall colors, river canoeing, and outstanding camping locations. While dispersed (or undeveloped and therefore not included in this campground review) camping locations are scattered across the Ottawa, the dominant features of the Forest's developed camping areas are rustic facilities and crystal blue lakes.

With over 500 lakes within the Ottawa National Forest's boundaries, it is difficult to find a campground not located on or near a lake, river, or stream. Each lake has a beauty of its own and challenges the visitor to identify their favorite. Of course, the "granddaddy" of lakes in the area is Lake Superior. On the very edge of this enormous expanse of water is the
Black River campground, very popular with recreational vehicle (RV) and motorhome camping enthusiasts. One of the more modern campgrounds in the Forest, and in addition to the wonderful views, this campground offers flush toilets and RV waste station. Nearby are five delightful waterfalls on the Black River (the black color is caused by chemicals leaching out of decomposing trees) can be reached via hiking trails. The beauty found along these trails is memorable.

Moosehead Lake, Pomeroy Lake, and Henry Lake campgrounds form a nice cluster around the floatable/canoeable Presque Isle River. A Class 1 canoe stream (no rapids), the Preque Isle River offers good family fun and nice fishing opportunities. An alternative to exploring the Ottawa by river is discovering one of the 36 pristine lakes found in the Sylvania Wilderness.

A memorable experience for any angler is almost as simple as pick-a-lake-drop-your-line. Both lake and river fishing are best in the spring but are almost as good in the fall. Whether its Walleye, Northern pike, or panfish on the dinner menu, anglers of all ages with find that noteworthy event near most of Ottawa's developed camping locations.

A unique experience is exploring Sturgeon River Gorge and Sylvania Wildernesses. With no established trails or camp sites, the Sturgeon River Gorge offers an experience reminiscent of pioneer life. At the main entrance to the Sylvania Wilderness is the
Clark Lake campground with several loops and varying levels of camping, ranging from car and tent camping sites to RV and motorhome facilities, nestled in an ancient woods. The Sylvania Wilderness is one of the largest "virgin" (trees that have never been harvested) forests in the region. Sylvania is also special for the nearly 100 specific primitive campsites dotting the Wilderness. Because they are Wilderness designated areas, no motorized or mechanical equipment is permitted in Sturgeon River Gorge and Sylvania, which only adds to the special experience of staying in either place.

For the vegetation to be as lush and green as found in the Ottawa, there must be lots of moisture. Rain, ranging from soft and gentle to falling in sheets, is very common during the summer. Rain gear is a must when visiting the Forest. Also, a good quality insect repellant is strongly recommended, particularly in June, the Forest's peak blackfly and mosquito month.

The quiet and solitude found in the Ottawa National Forest makes it unique in the Midwest and well-worth the challenge of reaching this beautiful U.S. National Forest. Cool summer temperatures, lush forests, challenging trails, and natural beauty bring visitors back time and time again. Come and see just why.

ADDRESSES

SUPERVISOR ADDRESSE6248 US 2Ironwood, Michigan 49938906-932-1330RANGER DISTRICT ADDRESSESBessemerE6248 US 2.Ironwood, Michigan 49938906-932-1330Iron River990 Lalley Rd.Iron River, Michigan 49935906-265-5139KentonP.O.B. 198Kenton, Michigan 49943906-852-3500Ontonagon1029 Rockland Rd.P.O.B. 217Ontonagon, Michigan 49953906-884-2411WatersmeetOld US 2, P.O.B. 276Watersmeet, Michigan 49969906-358-4551

Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-11-15 6:25 PM (#127113 - in reply to #126883)

Regular

If you are camping in a primitive area that allows generators, then that's the rule.  As Rose said, Fed campgrounds for horses are mostly primitive, but they do allow generators, only during speiific times, and the generators have to be approved for federal use on sound.  So the etiquiette is simply this, as long you are abiding by the rules of the campground you are good to go.  So, for the ones of us that might want to use our generators all night, we can't, due to rules, for the ones of us that wish no generators were allowed, they are.  We just have to comprimise, and all get along.   We have to feel each others pain.  I have a quiter generator now, but at one point I didn't because I couldn't afford one, but I always ask my camper neighbor if my generator was bothering them.  I always try not to use it any longer than I had too.  Primitive camping is cheaper, as Dwight said, and we all need to save where we can now a days so we can afford to go camping.  Happy camping to all. 

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-11-16 3:50 PM (#127169 - in reply to #126883)

hey Issie Glad to see you here; been missing you
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-11-16 6:18 PM (#127191 - in reply to #126883)

Regular

Hi Rose, I'm in and out of here, usually don't have anything to add.  Found this one very interesting. 
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-17 9:49 PM (#127230 - in reply to #126883)

Regular

I think most of the conversation has moved away from my original post, but it still has been some interesting information. I realize generators are allowed and I'm not arguing that they should be banned. I believe there are some legitimate uses but I personally (my opinion) think they should be used as little as possible in primitive state and NF camps. And my preferred time (my opinion) would be during the day when the campground is bustling with activity and the noise would not be as noticeable.

For those that have argued for their use I ask why does their comfort level override my desire for tranquility? I enjoy socializing at a campground and taking advantage of the amenities like picket poles, fire ring, and picnic table, but why should your enjoyment intrude on mine? Because the rules say you can? That's why I titled this an etiquette question, not a rules question.

Regarding the information on "boondocking" (that's the phrase I understand means to camp away from a campground with a trailer) I do appreciate it. I have only found one place to pursue it in the Upper Peninsula after learning about it from another horse camper but it was not an area conducive to a pack trip, and we scouted it beforehand without horses. Michigan's rules have been changing in the past couple years and have only gotten more confusing as to where certain activities are acceptable. Going out of state, we have been exploring the popular trails areas as I figure they were developed for a reason and in most places it is unacceptable to go off trail. Is there a website or book that discusses boondocking locations?
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-11-17 9:55 PM (#127231 - in reply to #126883)

Bleve: Please ask the reverse of your question.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-11-18 7:05 PM (#127271 - in reply to #126883)

Expert

Perhaps the rules are designed to fit the needs of how the majority feel.  Perhaps it is not fair to all, but fair to most?  I can see a valid point both ways..........
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-18 8:02 PM (#127272 - in reply to #127231)

Regular

Originally written by rose on 2010-11-17 10:55 PM

Bleve: Please ask the reverse of your question.

I assume you mean why does my desire for tranquility override someone else's desire for comfort?

That's a fair question and part of why I asked the question to spark debate. For me, I believe it's possible to be comfortable without a generator, or at least reduce the need for one with some planning. My tranquility does rely on my neighbors cooperation. Not having a generator, I don't understand the need for one as I've been horse camping for a decade now in temperature ranges from the 20's to the 90's. I can see the appeal, but not the necessity.

Apparently my assumption that people visit the primitive campgrounds for the tranquility that I seek is not true from the majority of posts, but I would hope people think of this when camping.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-11-18 9:50 PM (#127276 - in reply to #126883)

FlyingHighFarm:  I believe the rules are designed somewhat as a compromise;  that is, quiet hours vary some but are usually something like 10 pm to 6 am.

Bleve:  I suspect you are in your 30's.  By the time you are my age, you may want a few more extras.  Only time will tell. 

Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-18 10:25 PM (#127279 - in reply to #126883)

Regular

I'm not disputing the rules, I think in general they do a decent job of maintaining a reasonable balance.

I'm not sure how my age invalidates my opinions, argument or desires. Is your argument that the older you are the more you can intrude on others? There may indeed come a time that I value comfort over quiet, but then I will not go to primitive campgrounds and run whatever futuristic noisemaker I need all night or even when I believe people are trying to relax in the evening. Again, this was not a rules question, it was an etiquette question. In many state forests it would be legal to go 500' from camp and start shooting just for fun, I don't think it would be considered polite.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-11-19 6:51 AM (#127284 - in reply to #126883)

Extreme Veteran

The great majority of people today live in temperature controlled environments.  Our homes and workplaces have heat and a/c.  Thus, by the time your birthday cake becomes a fire hazard from all the candles, your body has lost the ability to compensate and adjust to the temps.  My son (age 27) runs around most of the winter with no coat.  I think he is nuts!  But I do remember doing the same thing at his age.

I don't think Rose meant to invalidate your feelings.  It's just that, after a certain point in life, you place a great premium on comfort and a good night's sleep.  This applies to our chosen vacation activities as well.  Personally, I don't sleep well if I am too hot or cold.  When I don't sleep well, I am cranky.  You know the old saying about when Momma ain't happy...

For the record, I do think you have a good point and I will consult my camp neighbors the next time we go primitive and want to run the generator.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-11-20 10:08 PM (#127318 - in reply to #126883)

Bleve:  I own and use a generator that is decibel rated under the federal park/forest standards.  I observe the rules as to quiet time.  It has been my experience that horse campers are very courteous and considerate of others;  not to mention, helpful when there is a problem. 

I did not attack you nor did I "invalidate" your opinions by evidently accurately identifying your age group. 

Please try to be a little more mellow.

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-11-22 9:25 AM (#127349 - in reply to #126883)

Extreme Veteran

Maybe you should come to the dark side and get a generator yourself. :)

This thread is getting pointless. If us campers with generators follow the rules, and you understand the rules and still choose to camp there, there is no reason why any of us should have to defend it. You made the concious decision to stay there and yet get mad because others are doing what they are allowed to? It's not a matter of my wants over yours or vice versa, it is simply that you know what to expect so you decide if you want to deal with it or not.

Do you get upset if someone brings a stud to a campground? They are usually (not always) very vocal and run the risk of getting loose to get to a mare in heat. Are they allowed to be there? Sure, albeit a little un-nerving. I choose to run that risk with 2 mares and still camp knowing this is allowed. I'm not going to have them banned or grumble about it because I choose to camp with and ride mares.

Etiquette is subjective. My definition of camping etiquette is following the rules that the park/campground has set forth. Observing the quiet hours, cleaning up after youself and your animals, keeping relatively quiet-not partying/getting out of hand, etc. is appropriate behavior. Using a generator that meets the standards set by the state is not inappropriate during the hours allowed. LOUD generators are not allowed period in most state parks and NF's.

To each their own and in campgrounds, everyone seems to get along just fine. Most people will go above and beyond to help out or accomodate their fellow horsecampers.  

Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-23 12:04 AM (#127367 - in reply to #126883)

Regular

I am more than happy with laying this thread to rest. If I have given one camper that I might run into pause to think about when they choose to run their generator then that is some quiet I will be able to enjoy. And I will be more than happy to come over and share my cobbler with them from my dutch oven. I'm really such a nice guy, I'd even share it if you did run a generator
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)