'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying online vs. the local dealership

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-04 11:01 AM
43 replies, 11548 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-08-27 9:13 PM (#90567 - in reply to #90407)
Subject: RE: Buying online vs. the local dealership

Veteran

We had a very bad experience with a local dealer. We waited for 4 months for a used one they had coming in. Had pics of it, talked to the owner etc even put a deposit down. Well when the trailer came in it had some major damage under the gooseneck. The dealer had had this trailer for two weeks prior to us being able to get up there to inspect it. We were not pleased with the trailer at all as it was not what it was represented to be, one of the salesman asked us if they did repair the damage, would we still be interested in buying it, well the manager piped up and said, well he is a welder, let him fix it. We promptly asked for our deposit back and will never go there again. Apparently the manager did not care at all about making a sale. And to top it all off, he said after giving us our deposit back, that they had priced it too cheap to us anyway.We did end up buying out of state, because they had exactly what we wanted at what we wanted to pay. I also felt very comfortable with the salesman who was really wanted our business and was very accomodating. We try to buy local as much as we can if feel like we are appreciated as a customer. I hate being blowed off.

Edited by classygirl98 2008-08-27 9:14 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-27 10:58 PM (#90576 - in reply to #90554)

Regular

That is how I found some other dealers to be.  As long as they can fix it and I am willing to pay they will work on it!  If you tell people you have a service department and work on any type of trailer or RV, that is what you should do or close your doors!

I should have known about this dealer before, since we already had dealing with them, but I was doing what my actual dealer asked me to do since it was a new trailer and the local dealer was the only authorized dealer with in a 5 hour drive.

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-28 10:15 AM (#90594 - in reply to #90407)

Veteran

It is nice to see that most customers are not afraid to buy a trailer from an out of state dealer.  Sounds like the big advantage is a larger selection and being able to buy what you want rather than be limited to what the dealer has in stock.  Sometimes, you can even get a better deal and have it delivered to your front door.  From the stories, service isn't a big issue as long as you buy from a reputable dealer with experience in dealing with out of state customers. 

From a dealer standpoint, there is a learning curve.  You have to know how to handle sales tax, licensing, etc.  If the dealer is committed to satisfying the customer, it doesn't matter if he is in Pink Hill, NC (that is actually a real place) or Kalamazoo (I once thought this was a fictional place till I visited MI).

perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-08-28 12:31 PM (#90604 - in reply to #90407)

Veteran

I did a lot of internet research and looking before purchasing my last trailer.  I would not have hesitated to drive several hours to save a fair amount of money.  Luckily my job involves me traveling throughout the southeast on a regular basis which allowed me to get a "hands on" feeling for several trailer brands I was interested in.  I visited several dealers throughout TN, SC, GA, and FL and have to say that most of them were very respectful and helpful.  Even when it was apparent I was just "tire kicking" they answered questions and provided data and did not apply any high pressure sales techniques.  I finally purchased a used trailer from a local dealer who I'd dealt with before and whose service center I trust implicitly.  It was a lot easier on my mind to buy a used trailer that had been through this particular shop than buying a used one from a private seller (yes, I had to pay sales tax but it was worth it to me).  This same service person has never failed to fit me in when I needed something even when they were backed up from here to yon (and it's not like I bought a $100K rig).

All that said, I really want to give kuddos to HorsePro trailers in Cumming, GA.  They were very nice and VERY patient.  Had they had a trailer that met my needs (and that I could afford without selling my soul) I would not have hesitated to have purchased it from them. 

My search also confirmed that I am very fortunate to have several reputable and fair dealers in my area.  Some of the internet prices appeared lower but once you started comparing apples to apples it was apparent they were not.  For example, I may have been looking at a stripped down model on the internet and a loaded out model at the local dealer. 

Anyway, thanks and kuddos to my local dealers.  Aside from HorsePro I am not going to mention any names as I like them all and I would not want the order they would appear in a list to be misinterpreted. 

Drive safe everyone!

c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-28 3:36 PM (#90616 - in reply to #90604)

Regular

Don't get me wrong. I did give my local dealer a chance to sale us a trailer like we wanted, but they was more interested in what they had on their lot at the time. So thanks to this good ol' website site I found a dealer that was interested in my needs and I ended and bought the trailer almost 10-k cheaper!
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-08-28 8:26 PM (#90641 - in reply to #90407)

Extreme Veteran

I believe in spending my hard-earned money with the company who values my business.  I want to be treated with respect instead of being treated like I should have brought my husband with me.  Most women are treated as if they don't have any sense at all when it comes to buying equipment of any sort.  I am deeply offended by this attitude, and have walked off the lot of more than one dealership whose sales person wanted to treat me like an idiot.  It is MY money and MY choice, and the dealership who appreciates that will get MY money!

Marla

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-28 8:45 PM (#90646 - in reply to #90641)

Veteran

Hey Marla,

Good point.  I would say most of our customers are women, and we take that into account when designing the trailer. 

Bartley Heath

bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com

Edited by DD_TrailerMan 2008-08-28 8:47 PM
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-08-28 9:06 PM (#90650 - in reply to #90646)

Extreme Veteran

I own a cowboy cooking school and use a trailer not to haul horses but to haul all my cast iron and tables and other supplies.  I realize that most trailers are not designed for people who cook a lot, but still, some basic rules of design should be acknowledged.  Like not putting the cook top next to the bunk where bedding could catch fire. Ditto for the sink.  I don't know about most people, but when I wash dishes I don't want the comforter trailing through the suds.  I also don't want a window behind the cooktop or sink.  Too hard to keep presentable.

These are design points that most men probably don't think about.  If I am going to spend 50 to 80 thousand on a trailer, I want those design elements to be thought about.  I want to work with a dealer who takes my needs into consideration and who will build the trailer to suit me.  Since I live in eastern New Mexico, there is no local dealer who can accomodate my wishes.  Therefore, I will go to the dealer who can provide what I want, wherever they may be.

Marla

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-08-29 11:20 AM (#90678 - in reply to #90407)

Veteran

Hi Guys

Well I think the online era has arrived - it is convenient, you have a outstanding range and you can most often find what you want for what you want to spend...provided you buy from reputable dealers.

I purchased a new Cherokee Tomahawk 4H from Tobruk Trailers in TN online and had it shipped to me.... AND I LIVE IN SOUTH AFRICA.... - THATS A FEW THOUSAND MILES AWAY.

Online is the future - not to say dont buy local - just use what is available to you online to your advantage.... shop around - its free.

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-29 1:58 PM (#90686 - in reply to #90678)

Veteran

Hey Barfly,

Haven't shipped any to South Africa yet but we have shipped to Australia, Taiwan, England and more.  Sometimes, countries have specific rules on width, clearance light placement.  Also, sometimes, trucks in other countries are different heights, causing the coupler to be mounted differently.  Most importantly, it has to fit inside a container at 92" wide.  We have built some creative trailers to be as wide as possible (for LQ) but still fit inside the container.  We have a nice process for that now.  Container shipping is much less than roll-on-roll-off service. 

Getting ready for spring in South Africa?   

Bartley Heath

bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com

Edited by DD_TrailerMan 2008-08-29 2:02 PM
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-09-01 1:21 AM (#90773 - in reply to #90407)

Veteran

Hi Bartley

Yip there are specific requirements here as well... the trailer has to be no wider than 2,5m (overall) - height is no hassel. and I had to redo some of the wiring for the tail lights. We use an amber light as indicators. All I did was run an additional wire to the back and installed 2 marker LED light at the back... I also had to change the plug on the trailer as we use a different type over here.

I was lucky enough to get away with the width as my Cherokee is 100mm wider.... but dont tell a soul.

I drive a F250 double cab - so fitting a B&W turnower was a sintch - had to do some minor mods as my F250 has a different shock mounting to the US model...

I put my trailer on a RoRo - cost $8500 just for that...

Good to know that you guys do some custome designing for us outsiders....send me a PM with some details - pics etc. of your trailers, as there is a lot of interest in mine and it will not be long before we order the next...

Cheers for now

Nick

Sunny SA

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-01 6:26 PM (#90794 - in reply to #90641)

Elite Veteran

Atta girl Marla!!!!

When my husband and i go car shopping... it is ME who does the dealing! I don't know if I'm more hardheaded or what, but I'm the one who the salesman end up doing business with.. (my car only.. my husb is on his own when he buys his.. It is his deal and he'll pay what he thinks is fair) I usually have my husband along for backup muscle just so I don't get treated like a waste of their time.. but when the dealing comes right down to brass tacks.. they soon find out they've got an armenian camel dealer by the tail!  

Edited by ridingarocky 2008-09-01 6:39 PM
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-09-01 8:24 PM (#90796 - in reply to #90794)

Extreme Veteran

Don't those camel tails get jut a little stinky?  All humour aside, doesn't it make you absolutely furious to have a salesman treat you like you don't know the headlight from the rear bumper?  It is such a different experience when my brother or husband accompanies me to a sales lot or a repair shop.  They are treated with courtesy and respect while when I go by myself it is 180 degrees opposite.  I didn't fall off the turnip wagon yesterday, or even the day before yesterday!  One salesman actually thought I would be facinated by the fact that the vanity mirror was lighted.  Woopie!

Marla

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-01 10:48 PM (#90806 - in reply to #90796)

Expert

[QUOTE]Originally written by Marla on 2008-09-01 8:24 AM

Don't those camel tails get jut a little stinky?  All humour aside, doesn't it make you absolutely furious to have a salesman treat you like you don't know the headlight from the rear bumper?  It is such a different experience when my brother or husband accompanies me to a sales lot or a repair shop.  They are treated with courtesy and respect while when I go by myself it is 180 degrees opposite.  I didn't fall off the turnip wagon yesterday, or even the day before yesterday!  One salesman actually thought I would be facinated by the fact that the vanity mirror was lighted.  Woopie!

Marla

I HATE that.  When I bought my truck I went to the Ford dealer first and after being ignored for about 20 minutes I told my daughter that we were leaving.  The 2 salesmen that had been talking to each other said "oh, we thought you were waiting for your husband".  I told them that I WAS looking for a truck to buy but since they couldn't be bothered by a single mother (I'm not, but they don't know that) I'd go across the street to the Dodge dealer.  They watched me walk across the street where I bought my truck.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-02 9:26 AM (#90815 - in reply to #90407)

Elite Veteran

When I bought my first truck I thought I was being very clear about my needs. I said to the dealer, "I am hauling horses. I need a tow package, I need a V8, I want remote control mirrors (a new concept at the time) I need..." and I could NOT get him to quit asking me, "What color do you want it in? If I could get it for you in blue, would you buy this truck?" and I would repeat, "I'm hauling horses, I don't CARE what color the truck is." I guess maybe blue hauls better than red?
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-09-03 8:05 PM (#90919 - in reply to #90815)

Extreme Veteran

Don't forget the lighted vanity mirror so that you can apply your mascara while driving down the road!!!

Marla

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-09-04 9:13 AM (#90950 - in reply to #90919)

Expert

it is not just woman that get this treatment I look young for my age so some dealer say to me is your parents coming I am  49 yrs old. even at 25 i bought my car on my own. As for buying online I have a friend that buy on line  cars, horses, trailers, and saddles she live in an area on ny that does not have a lot  of dealer near her If she is near a dealer then she will see if they can better the price or not. buying on line is the new super mall  
reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-09-04 10:48 AM (#90953 - in reply to #90815)

Regular

LOL! I know, when I bought my first 1 ton I told them exactly what I wanted - 1 ton, creb cab, dually, 4X4, etc. The salesman looked at me and said "Now honey, why would you want something like that? If you want a 4X4, we have this cute little Ranger and it has vanity mirrors on both visors!"

I gave him one more chance and he said maybe I should come back with my husband, because clearly I didn't know what I wanted. All I knew, was that I didn't want to buy anthing there! Bought the truck on the other side of town from his cousin!!! ;0)

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-04 11:01 AM (#90954 - in reply to #90953)

Elite Veteran

I hear ya!

When I bought my land cruiser, a junior salesman standing with the one who sold me my car made the mistake of telling me that my name ought to be "Wheezy" because like the TV show I was "movin' on up". He just about pooped his pants when I turned and without saying a word handed the Toyota keys back to him and headed for my Trailblazer..

Edited by ridingarocky 2008-09-04 11:03 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)