'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
pros/cons of one sink in LQs

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-11 11:03 AM
42 replies, 9986 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-01-08 8:10 PM (#74049 - in reply to #73986)
Subject: RE: pros/cons of one sink in LQs

Extreme Veteran

I agree with the suggestion to visit a trailer dealer and see how the various LQ are laid out. We have a 10' LQ with a sink in the kitchen and a sink in the Bath room. Still plenty of room for our clothes and food. It's nice to be able to brush teeth, etc in the bathroom while the other is preparing a meal.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
M Zap
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-08 8:25 PM (#74051 - in reply to #73986)

New User

For resale, have two sinks PERIOD!!!  When doing anything to a trailer always think RESALE!

A 10 ft lq is the shortest you can go and have enough room for a bathroom sink.  With girls travelling, you cannot have enough "sinks" (doing hair, make-up, curling irons, etc...).

When guys travel together, one  can make coffee and the other can shave & brush teeth, etc...

When a couple travel together, you need alot of room.

I have sold trailers for many years and people with 6 or 8 ft couldn't wait to trade to something bigger so they can get  a sink in the bathroom.

At some time we all camped in tents, but if you have an LQ, do it right.

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-01-08 8:27 PM (#74052 - in reply to #73986)

Regular

thanks for all the input...both informative and entertaining!  kitchen sink, it is then.  AND I WILL NEVER TASTE TEST ANOTHER GRAPE AT ANY STORE....EVER!!!  ( i will leave the sanitizer in the bathroom and hope for the best.

I do have to add this note, just for fun facts about germs: according to medical studies, children that grow up in a house with 2 or more pets are healthier than children who grow up with no pets, something to do with the exposure to germs, etc.     According to my husband, our kids should be the healthiest da** kids in texas...   

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-08 9:07 PM (#74055 - in reply to #74043)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-01-08 6:06 PM

How much dirt do we actually eat over the course of a day?

Okay...one more time. It's not dirt that concerns...it's the fecal matter/bodily fluids left on hands after using the bathroom. If some of you are okay with that in the area where you are preparing food or where you are washing your hands before fixing meals (yea.. I know that some folks never wash their hands...gross), all I can say is that I hope when the so called "stomach flu" hits, it doesn't last too many days. Stay healthy.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-01-09 12:56 AM (#74066 - in reply to #73986)

Expert

I guess I don't get the huge concern. When I wash my hands in a sink, I use soap and water which is usually rinsed away out of the sink. Its not as if the "fecal matter/bodily fluids" are left to dry up and coat the sink basin and one doesn't take a piece of raw chicken and wipe up the sink with it either. I like to use a bleach based kitchen cleaner for the trailer and home sinks and counters anyway. I would be far more concerned if someone did not wash either hands after using the bathroom and before preparing meals rather than where they wash their hands.

Edited by farmbabe 2008-01-09 12:58 AM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-01-09 1:09 AM (#74068 - in reply to #74055)

Expert

Originally written by IcePonyGoddess on 2008-01-08 9:07 PM

Okay...one more time. It's not dirt that concerns...it's the fecal matter/bodily fluids left on hands after using the bathroom. If some of you are okay with that in the area where you are preparing food or where you are washing your hands before fixing meals (yea.. I know that some folks never wash their hands...gross), all I can say is that I hope when the so called "stomach flu" hits, it doesn't last too many days. Stay healthy.

Gee...I guess I'm just lucky...because some days I do and some days I don't wash my hands in the kitchen sink...but then again I do wash down the sinks with an SOS pad...

And in reality, as my Gdad used to say, you would be better served washing your hands before you did your business, because...sometimes you never know what you were handling BEFORE you went to the restroom......but that is another story...

Also, stomach acid KILLS...

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-09 9:34 AM (#74087 - in reply to #74055)

Expert

Originally written by IcePonyGoddess on 2008-01-08 9:07 PM

OK,so,if I understand you correctly,as it is related to the question that the OP asked,whether to have a sink in the bathroom,or one in the kitchen (since it seemed her choice was just for one sink alone) here goes:

You don't want to be washing your hands where you are preparing food and after going to the bathroom in the same sink.

How the H does this apply to her? She's going to either have a sink in: the bathroom,or,the kitchen.If she only has one sink,then,where the H is the "germs,fecal matter on your hands" idea  going to fit in? She's going to be using one sink,either in the bathroom,or,in the kitchen area.If she has a bathroom sink,she's going to be preparing food,snacks,cleanup,ect.using THAT sink,then,washing hands after going to the bathroom,in that same sink that you say the thought of using grosses you out, that sink where you've washed your hands after #2.Or,she's going to be using the kitchen area sink for all of it.

I don't think our personal preferences and our  theories are going to help her out very much.Where we wash our hands in our homes is our business,but it's not going to apply to her   situation at all.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-01-09 9:47 AM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-09 9:52 AM (#74091 - in reply to #74052)

Expert

Amy,I've had both,a trailer with only one sink,and a trailer with 2.Matter of fact,I've had many more trailers with NONE.I say: if you only have a choice of one sink get it in the kitchen.They are usually larger than the bathroom sink anyway.You'll be miserable having a bathroom sink and no kitchen sink,trust me,you're a woman,heck,you can figure it out.

And if it "grosses  YOu out" to wash your hands in the same sink then run a pan of water and go outside and wash them in the middle of the night or a rainstorm,whatever.Not me.I didn't give a rip,I was glad to have a sink,period,and I didn't get sick.If after being a nurse for 35 years and a home health nurse for 15,and seeing some of the "grossest" stuff you can imagine to do dressing changes and wound care to  didn't get me,washing my hands in one sink sure isn't.ANd there were times that my patients only had ONE sink,and that was the kitchen,no bathroom except outside.So,I had to wash my hands in their sink after doing wound care,ect.It didn't kill them or me either.

Get a kitchen sink and be happy.Be glad you're getting a trailer that can have a sink.Heck,be glad you're able to go riding and use a sink,period!!!

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-01-09 9:54 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-01-09 10:03 AM (#74094 - in reply to #73986)

Expert

crowleysridgegirl.....If you done the home health thing for 15 years, then you are mighty lucky to still be alive!! It don't get any more nasty than some of those ........Houses???!!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-09 11:58 AM (#74100 - in reply to #74094)

Expert

you're right about that.And the PEOPLE in some of those houses----- And money doesn't = class either.I've been in the very nicest of homes,and probably some of the worst.The things that people have no longer have a real hold over me as a result.

Important thing is: being happy,having fun,and being HEALTHY.

Guess I'd better stop using that big hammer and washing in the kitchen,right Rentento?

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-01-09 12:20 PM
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-09 1:20 PM (#74104 - in reply to #73986)

Elite Veteran

I have a Logan LQ trailer that has a unique design, the sink in the bathroom is in a pull out cabinet above the toilet.  I use it as a countertop when putting on makeup and doing my hair, and of course brushing teeth and washing my hands after using the toilet.  Its not the most convenient setup in the world, but it is a great alternative to not having a bathroom sink at all.  You can probably find pictures on the Logan website.
amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-01-09 1:22 PM (#74105 - in reply to #73986)

Regular

Yes, I  have definitely decided on the one sink being located in the kitchen area.

And no one has to worry about food/germs etc, in MY trailer because I don't plan on cooking. (except for heating up water for coffee.)  I don't cook at home if I can get away with it.  But when I do, I will admit I am not overly concerned with germs in my house and we seem to do ok.  Of course, some of you guys probably would not want to join us for meals, unless you like cat hair in your food, or at least that is what my husband claims.  (I do keep a water gun in the dish drainer in an ATTEMPT to keep the cat off the counter...)

I plan to have this trailer a long time.  It is for myself and my two daughters (15 and 10) who show hunters.  We sometimes get in a trail ride (not enough) but that is about the extent of roughing it.  The storage is our main concern so I guess storage wins out over germs.  (just kidding!  sort of!)  But I really do appreciate all the input and I will put a bottle of hand sanitizer in the bathroom.  And when and if it comes time to sell the trailer, hopefully there will be someone out there with my type lifestyle that can live with one sink.

Thanks everyone for your input. 

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-11 1:01 AM (#74208 - in reply to #73986)

Expert

Washing after going to the bathroom is a MUST, but I wouldn't be to worried about the germs. 

My daughter has been sick since she was born.  Her doctors tell me not to use the antibacterial stuff when ever possible becuase she needs to be exposed to the germs to build her immune system.  Now I'm not talking raw meat.  He said of his patients, the ones that are sick the most are the kids with the "germaphobe" parents.  The kids are never exposed to anything so they react to everything.  My allergist also said that is one big factor in pet allergy/asthma studies.  You have to be exposed to become immune.   That is the reason for immunization/allergy shots.

I used to wonder why the mutt down the road with the "wild child" never seemed to get sick when the animals/kids being cared for always seem to have something.  Now I know.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-11 1:07 AM (#74209 - in reply to #74105)

Expert

(I do keep a water gun in the dish drainer in an ATTEMPT to keep the cat off the counter...)

I found that clear packing tape works better.  I was trying to find a way to keep my cat out of the bassinet before my daughter was born and stuck pieces of clear tape in rows on the mattress sticky side up.  Close enough so she couldn't lay down with out laying on them.   They were hard to see and when she jumped in they would stick to her and she would have to pull them off AND it worked with out her associating it with me walking in the room.  It was a sort of self punishment.  She quit getting in the bassinet and later the crib and has just recently started getting on the counters again after almost 7 years.  I guess it's time to pull the tape back out to remind her.

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-11 6:41 AM (#74216 - in reply to #73986)

Extreme Veteran

And speaking of sinks, a buddy of mine used to say that his wife was one of the nastiest housekeepers that he ever saw.  Everytime he went to pee in the sink it was always full of dirty dishes.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-01-11 9:22 AM (#74226 - in reply to #73986)

Expert

Longrider..........That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!!!

The weekend is near!!

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-01-11 9:55 AM (#74229 - in reply to #73986)

Elite Veteran

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-01-11 11:03 AM (#74236 - in reply to #73986)

Elite Veteran

I didn't know anybody else had a wife like mine. Good to know!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)