'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2001 Dodge - Surging

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-23 9:06 PM
39 replies, 6886 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 10:35 AM (#45042 - in reply to #42918)
Subject: RE: 2001 Dodge - Surging

Elite Veteran

Aint pullin now!! Georgia..Georgia... Georgia on My mind.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-19 1:30 PM (#45055 - in reply to #45032)

Veteran

Originally written by SLICKRNSNOT on 2006-07-19 9:13 AM

Sounds like a new lift pump and injection pump are in order, a problem with that year, Oh did I say problem ? excuse Me again Dodge has no problems, must have been a weak moment. Simple... when you loose fuel pressure you loose lubrication on injection pump..no lube no pump $$$$$$

NOT.  As I (think) I said in my other post, both have been replaced. 

afkatrina
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 1:40 PM (#45056 - in reply to #42918)

Hey Snot,

I've got an Expedition that just locked up at 124K.  Ford says there is nothing to do but replace it & couldn't provide an explanation of why.    Do you need my address to send the check to? 

Love my Chevy truck! 

Brenda 

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 3:28 PM (#45072 - in reply to #42918)

Elite Veteran

I like the sound of that!! SNOT

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

At least you had 124000 on it, just think if it had some oil in it it may have ran forever !!

Any way on the Dodge, if both pumps were replaced then it is probably in the electronics,wire ends,harness, sensors or the ECM.

Hey ! SNOT SAYS GIVE THE CHEVY A HUG FOR ME !!

TEE HEE

afkatrina
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 3:49 PM (#45073 - in reply to #45072)

"just think if it had some oil in it it may have ran forever !!"

Ha!  I wish... just had an oil change & they said it had plenty of oil & water & they have no idea what went wrong.  "Just send a check for $4400 & we'll get it all fixed up!"  Gee.. thanks...

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 4:10 PM (#45077 - in reply to #42918)

Elite Veteran

Been My experience over 30 years working on trucks that when a engine just "locks up" there is usually a pretty good reason for it.

Although you are in Alabama...

Welll there ya go...that says it all.

And what is the state motto..

"Audemus jura nostra defendere"

Just think if I bought your Ford you wouldn't have anything left to remind you of all the fun you had for all those 1k + miles A L A B A M A nice ring to it.

SNOT

Remember you may think it's funny but it's SNOT!!

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-21 10:55 AM (#45187 - in reply to #45072)

Veteran

Originally written by SLICKRNSNOT on 2006-07-19 3:28 PM

Any way on the Dodge, if both pumps were replaced then it is probably in the electronics,wire ends,harness, sensors or the ECM.

Ok, next question:  is there any way to narrow it down - any particular tests to do?  Would any of these show up as a "code"?  My warranty is gone IF they cannot find what is going on....it went in at the tail end of the warranty & they did the injector pump (said it threw the code for it), & quit on me on the way home.  So we are perplexed.  This truck has been GREAT, no probs til now...& can't afford a new one, so pleading for any help! 

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-07-21 12:38 PM (#45194 - in reply to #45073)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by afkatrina on 2006-07-19 4:49 PM

"just think if it had some oil in it it may have ran forever !!"

Ha!  I wish... just had an oil change & they said it had plenty of oil & water & they have no idea what went wrong.  "Just send a check for $4400 & we'll get it all fixed up!"  Gee.. thanks...

I'm with SNOT on this one, engines don't just lock up for no reason. Maybe your dealership doesn't know why because they haven't torn the engine down, but there is a reason, believe me. Having spent a time as an engine tear down tech for a remanufacturer, you can always find the reason the engine went south. If it locked up it could be main bearings, cracked crankk shaft, busted rod or a number of other reasons, but there is a reason.

afkatrina
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-21 3:16 PM (#45205 - in reply to #42918)

I'm with SNOT on this one, engines don't just lock up for no reason.

They basically told us that it was gone one way or the other & that it wasn't obvious (had plenty of oil & water).  I guess we could pay them (cha-ching) to tear it down, but they said it has to be replaced regardless.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-21 3:17 PM (#45206 - in reply to #45187)

Elite Veteran

This is arealy tough problem,there are all sorts of electrical test to perform and even then there is no guarantee it will be the fix.I had one engine that gave a code on the inlection pump,replaced injection pump and transfer pump ran good then lost power started giving codes such as no oil pressure, checked with manual gage and was fine.After performing all the troubleshooting tips listed in the manual everything checked fine.

I finally took it to Cummins North West in Portland,they performed same test couldnt find anything wrong.Suggested replacing wiring harness I said ok.Then they tried it, same problem.They tried to reflash computer.Result no power 40 mph. Then the computer would not take a reprogram, it crashed.Finally I told them to write off the bad computer test since I told them to replace it as I believed it was bad.

They did and presto chango it was back up and runnin again.

I also had one that had a bad speed sensor and would shut the engine down without leaving a code.What a pain!!.

Check all the connections to every sensor,even oil or diesel will cause the end to short out and give a false signal.The puter sends out 5 volts and expects to get 5 back and if it doesn't then it will assume it is broke and send a dode.a code 363,364,365,366,367,368up to376 all have to do with the VP44 PUMP some derate speed others will let the engine die.

will try to send some more info later

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-21 3:30 PM (#45207 - in reply to #42918)

Elite Veteran

this is just a sample of troubleshooting steps.

Engine will not restart ® Refer to the Engine Difficult to Start or Will Not Start symptom tree.
OK
¯    
Fuel level low in the tank ® Fill the supply tank.
OK
¯    
Electronic fault codes active or highcounts of inactive fault codes ® Refer to Section TF for fault code troubleshooting.
OK
¯    
Engine protection fault code(s)resulted in power and engine speedderate ® View the fault codes and the engine protection data with an electronic service tool. Refer to the appropriate electronic service tool manual. Refer to the corresponding fault code in Section TF.
OK
¯    
Idle shutdown or PTO shutdownfeatures are activated ® Check the time limit on idle and PTO shutdown with an electronic service tool. Refer to the appropriate electronic service tool manual.
OK
¯    
Keyswitch circuit is malfunctioning ® Check the vehicle keyswitch circuit. Refer to Procedure 019-064.
OK
¯    
Moisture in the wiring harnessconnectors ® Dry the connectors with Cummins electronic cleaner, Part No. 3824510.
OK
¯    
OEM engine protection system ismalfunctioning ® Isolate the OEM engine protection system. Follow the OEM service manuals to check for a malfunction.
OK
¯    
Battery voltage supply to theelectronic control module (ECM) islow, interrupted, or open ® Check the battery connections. Refer to Procedures 019-198 and 019-087. Refer to Procedure 013-009.
OK
¯    
Air in the fuel system ® Check for air in the fuel system. Refer to Procedure 006-003 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Fuel lift pump is malfunctioning ® Check the fuel lift pump for correct operation. Check the pump output pressure. Replace the fuel lift pump if necessary. Refer to Procedure 005-045 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Fuel injection pump voltage supplycircuit is malfunctioning ® Check the fuel injection pump voltage supply circuit. Refer to Fault Code 391.
OK
¯    
Exhaust brake is malfunctioning ® Check the exhaust brake for correct operation. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions.
OK
¯    
Fuel injection pump is malfunctioning ® Replace the fuel injection pump. Refer to Procedure 005-016 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Electronic control module (ECM) ismalfunctioning ® Replace the ECM. Refer to Procedure 019-031.
OK
¯    
Internal engine damage ® Analyze the oil and inspect the filters to locate an area of probable damage. Refer to Procedure 007-002 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.

Interview the operator to verify thecomplaint ® Refer to Driveability-General Information, the Driveability/Low Power Customer Complaint Form, and the Driveability Checklist at the end of Section TS. Follow the instructions on the forms before continuing with this tree.
OK
¯    
Electronic fault codes active or highcounts of inactive fault codes ® Refer to Section TF for fault code troubleshooting.
OK
¯    
Engine protection fault code(s)resulted in power and engine speedderate ® View the fault codes and the engine protection data with an electronic service tool. Refer to the appropriate electronic service tool manual. Refer to the corresponding fault code in Section TF.
OK
¯    
Fuel level low in the tank ® Fill the supply tank.
OK
¯    
Fuel inlet restriction ® Check for fuel inlet restriction. Refer to Procedure 006-020 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Fuel lift pump is malfunctioning ® Check the fuel lift pump for correct operation. Check the pump output pressure. Replace the fuel lift pump if necessary. Refer to Procedure 005-045 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Fuel leak ® Check the fuel lines, fuel connections, and fuel filters for leaks. Refer to Procedure 006-024 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193. Check the fuel lines to the supply tanks. Refer to OEM service manuals.
OK
¯    
Fuel filter is plugged ® Measure the fuel pressure before and after the fuel filter. Refer to Procedure 005-011 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Engine is operating aboverecommended altitude ® Engine power decreases above recommended altitude. Refer to the Engine Data Sheet for specifications.
OK
¯    
Engine duty cycle has changed ® Verify the engine duty cycle with an electronic service tool. Refer to the appropriate electronic service tool manual.
OK
¯    
Programmable parameters orselected features are not correct ® Check the programmable parameters and the selected features with an electronic service tool. Set the parameters and features again if necessary. Refer to the appropriate electronic service tool manual.
OK
¯    
J1939 control devices are interferingwith the engine controls ® Alternately disconnect all other J1939 control devices from the datalink circuit until communications or functionality is restored. Refer to the OEM service manual to locate and repair J1939 control devices.
OK
¯    
Accelerator pedal is restricted ormalfunctioning ® Check the percent throttle reading on an electronic service tool. Verify that it reads 100 percent with the accelerator pedal depressed and zero percent when released. Calibrate the accelerator if possible. Replace the accelerator pedal if necessary. Refer to the OEM service manual.
OK
¯    
Air intake system restriction is abovespecification ® Check the air intake system for restriction. Clean or replace the air filter and inlet piping as necessary. Refer to Procedure 010-031 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Air intake or exhaust leaks ® Inspect the air intake and exhaust systems for air leaks. Refer to Procedure 010-024 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Intake manifold pressure (boost)sensor or circuit is malfunctioning ® Check the boost sensor and circuit. Refer to Procedure 019-061.
OK
¯    
Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) orcircuit is malfunctioning ® Use an electronic service tool to monitor the vehicle speed while the vehicle is not moving. Refer to the appropriate electronic service tool manual. If the monitor shows speed, check the sensor and circuit. Refer to Procedures 019-090, 019-091, and 019-093.
OK
¯    
Tachometer or speedometer is notcalibrated or is malfunctioning ® Compare the vehicle tachometer and speedometer readings with an electronic service tool reading. Check the calibration values for the flywheel teeth, rear axle ratio, and tire revolutions. Adjust the values if necessary. Refer to the appropriate electronic service tool manual. Calibrate or replace the tachometer or speedometer as necessary. Refer to the OEM service manuals.
OK
¯    
Air in the fuel system ® Check for air in the fuel system. Refer to Procedure 006-003 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Injector is malfunctioning ® Perform the automated cylinder performance test. Replace injectors as necessary. Refer to Procedure 006-026 or 014-008 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Injectors are not correct ® Remove the injectors and compare the part numbers to the Control Parts List (CPL), Bulletin No. 3379133. Replace the injectors if necessary. Refer to Procedure 006-026 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Fuel connector is leaking fuel ® Perform the automated cylinder performance test to isolate the cylinder with the leaking fuel connector. Inspect the fuel connector and injector for nicks or damage that can cause fuel leaks. Refer to Procedure 006-026 or 014-008 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Fuel drain line restriction ® Check the fuel drain lines for restriction. Clear or replace the fuel lines, check valves, or tank vents as necessary. Refer to Procedure 006-012.
OK
¯    
Vehicle parasitics are excessive ® Check the vehicle brakes for dragging, transmission malfunction, cooling fan operation cycle time, and engine-driven units. Refer to the OEM service manual.
OK
¯    
Turbocharger wastegate ismalfunctioning (if equipped) ® Check the wastegate for correct operation. Refer to Procedure 010-050 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Turbocharger wheel clearance is outof specification ® Check the radial bearing clearance and axial clearance. Inspect the turbocharger. Repair or replace the turbocharger if necessary. Refer to Procedures 010-038 and 010-047 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Turbocharger is not correct ® Check the turbocharger part number and compare it to the Control Parts List (CPL), Bulletin No. 3379133. Replace the turbocharger if necessary. Refer to Procedure 010-033 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Intake manifold air temperature isabove specification ® Refer to the Intake Manifold Air Temperature Above Specification symptom tree in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Fuel inlet temperature to pump isabove specification ® Fill the fuel tank, turn off or bypass the fuel heaters, and check the fuel cooler. Refer to the OEM service manuals.
OK
¯    
Fuel grade is not correct for theapplication, or the fuel quality is poor ® Operate the engine from a tank of good fuel. Refer to Fuel Recommendations and Specifications in the Operation and Maintenance Manual Bulletin No. 3666262.
OK
¯    
Charge air cooler (CAC) is restrictedor leaking ® Inspect the CAC for air restriction or leaks. Refer to Procedure 010-027 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Exhaust brake adjustment is notcorrect ® Check the exhaust brake adjustment. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions.
OK
¯    
Exhaust system restriction is abovespecification ® Check the exhaust system for restrictions. Refer to Procedure 011-009 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Lubricating oil level is abovespecification ® Check the oil level. Verify the dipstick calibration and oil pan capacity. Fill the system to the specified level. Refer to Procedure 007-009 or 007-025 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Electronic control module (ECM)calibration is not correct ® Compare the calibration stored in the ECM with the engine rating and the Control Parts List (CPL), Bulletin No. 3379133. If necessary, calibrate the ECM. Refer to the appropriate electronic service tool manual and Procedure 019-032.
OK
¯    
Drivetrain is not correctly matched tothe engine ® Check for correct gearing and drivetrain components. Refer to the OEM vehicle specifications.
OK
¯    
Overhead adjustments are notcorrect ® Measure and adjust the overhead settings. Refer to Procedure 003-004 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Static injection timing is not correct ® Check the static injection timing. Refer to Procedure 006-025 or 005-037 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Fuel injection pump is malfunctioning ® Replace the fuel injection pump. Refer to Procedure 005-016 014-008 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.
OK
¯    
Internal engine damage ® Analyze the oil and inspect the filters to locate an area of probable damage. Refer to Procedure 007-002 in the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, ISB, QSB5.9 Engines, Bulletin No. 3666193.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-21 3:33 PM (#45208 - in reply to #42918)

Elite Veteran

Simple huhh!

If you have a stored code, codes, your check engine light will be on.

Edited by SLICKRNSNOT 2006-07-21 3:37 PM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-21 3:44 PM (#45209 - in reply to #45205)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by afkatrina on 2006-07-21 3:16 PM

They basically told us that it was gone one way or the other & that it wasn't obvious (had plenty of oil & water).  I guess we could pay them (cha-ching) to tear it down, but they said it has to be replaced regardless.

Really I am sorry you had a problem and understand where you are coming from.I mean you no harm or wish you any more bad luck.sounds like you have had enough.

I was just slingin a little  snot.

Have a good weekend.

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-22 9:21 PM (#45255 - in reply to #42918)

Veteran

Ok, thanks for the ideas....I'm just frustrated & I think the dealership is too!   I haven't heard anything from them, so am assuming they have not found anything yet.  (diesel tech was going to drive it "as his own" vehicle & see if it would do it for him since it's not showing any codes! 
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-23 9:06 PM (#45289 - in reply to #42918)

Elite Veteran

Like I said if it is a speed sensor it won,t set a code.But will drive crappy. GOOD luck
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)