'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
In search of Burgson Lake....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-17 12:55 PM
3 replies, 4125 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-16 5:33 PM (#85762)
Subject: In search of Burgson Lake....

Extreme Veteran

OK, everyone sing....."I got that trail riding fever, gotta go every weekend!!!!!....."

Yup, another fun filled adventure was calling me out this past Sat. The weather has been too warm down here in the foothills for me so off to the mountains once again with Josie...........

This time I was going back up to a place I haven't visited in some time. Wheats Meadow, but that would turn into an adventureous journey while out in search for a lake named Burgson Lake. I've been studing a trail or cross country route from a trail book on the Carson-Iceberg wilderness I found. It shows alot of trails that USFS has just not put back on the maps anymore. Don't know why, maybe their way of keeping folks out of the mountains, hope that that's not their plan cause Josie and I will find the way!!!!!!!

I pulled out some pictures from a ride I took here with a group about 14 years ago. WOW! and I rode an Appy on that ride! The old cow camp cabin was in pretty good shape then too. It's pretty delapitated now, and the trail is one that is very hard to find unless you've been in and out of here several times. Even then it's like a bomb went off as mother natures snow storms this past winter made all the old burn trees fall and slides block ways, it was a tough 14.1 mile round trip! but well worth it and nothing that Josie couldn't handle. I did have to get off several times to walk her through some pretty nasty granite slopes, but she navigated herself and watched me well!

Looking up at Spicers Dam.
 -

A view of the stream leaving the dam.
 -

OK, now where did that trail go? Can you see it?
 -

-

Ahhhhh, once through the castastrophy of a trail, and I didn't get pics of the worst parts to busy trying to find our way, we come into Clover Meadow. A gorgeous meadow filled with corn lillies, lush grass and wild onions. The air is literally permiated with onions, it's smells wonderful!!!!!!!
 -

The trail leaving Clover Meadow...
 -

and the Wheats creek, we are very close to the old cow camp now.
 -

posting more.....
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-16 5:33 PM (#85764 - in reply to #85762)
Subject: RE: In search of Burgson Lake....

Extreme Veteran

The old Wheats Cow Camp cabin. I can just hear the stories this old gal has to tell..........
 -

-

-

and one self taken photo of Josie and I in front of it, as who knows how much longer she will be standing........
 -

OH MY!!!!!! Another outhouse opportunity! And look what a bear has done to it! I guess this bear didn't like the phrase, "Does a bear **** in the woods?" This one doesnt' he needed an outhouse bad and got in the hard way! LOL!!!!
 -

-

After letting Josie munch on some of the lush grass of Wheats meadow, we head on in search of Burgson Lake. According to the book we need to travel south east gradually and we should be there in about 1 mile. A view of Dardenelle Butte, I was on the other side, north, of the Dardenelles last weekend over at Clark Fork.
 -

posting more.....
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-16 5:34 PM (#85765 - in reply to #85762)

Extreme Veteran

As I 'boonie crash" through the thick vegetation, I kinda see a slight worn down path and some ducks on top of boulders. Now I have to hesitate and be cautious of ducks as I have followed them before and they have taken me way and well around of my path. So I kinda have to follow these easy and use my Gps to keep my coordinates and see my track. It's working but "Wholy Cow!" look what we have come into! Granite slicks, boulders, and lot of deep crevices and stairs!
 -

-

A view of the Hwy 108 side in the background. Just spectacular views on this butt puckering route!
 -

We start to see a path pretty worn, actaully very well worn, and I hear a duck babbling not far below me. Alas through some trees just off of the granite ridge I spy water. "Hooray!" It's Burgson Lake, and I'm so proud of myself for not turning around, this is just a sight to see and not a very busy or visited lake!
 -

-

Let's take a lunch break and take in the views.
 -

A robin that caught his very own lunch.....
 -

After some great photo opportunities and and well deserved break of an hour we'll saddle up and head on out, and hopefully make better time going out, as we have blazed a trail once more into unknown territory and untravelled trails!
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-06-17 12:55 PM (#85831 - in reply to #85762)

Extreme Veteran

You go, girl! I think I need to retire in the Sierras near you and we can go exploring! I have to work another 10 yrs though, so keep on posting those beautiful pics for me in the meantime.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)