'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ Electrical Question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-22 11:33 AM
3 replies, 3172 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-05-21 6:27 PM (#84415)
Subject: LQ Electrical Question

Veteran

On my DIY LQ's, I've got the walls insulated and stripped with 1"x2" furring strips and am ready to install the outlet boxes. I got the thinner depth outlet boxes but the outlet boxes still stick out further from the furring strips than the paneling will be (I hope that makes sense). Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this? I thought about cutting out the insulation at the spots where the outlet boxes were going but then I don't have any way to get to the back of the boxes to run the wiring in. Any help/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-21 10:14 PM (#84423 - in reply to #84415)
Subject: RE: LQ Electrical Question

Veteran

I got boxes from Lowe's that were only about 1" Deep.  They have molded tabs top and bottom for attaching, and the wires enter at the top or bottom.  For an outlet, the wires need to be attached to the screws at the sides, as there is not enough room to plug the wires in at the back.  I have attached a picture of the box that I had to modify to fit the switch plate (Foreign Size) that I used, but you can see the depth.  Another suggestion is to frame your outlets with trim molding to match, or accent your panelling
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-21 10:32 PM (#84424 - in reply to #84415)

Expert

I've use the thin metal boxes from Lowes and they too only had wiring connections through the sides. If swapping them out is too difficult at this stage, Turfa's idea of framing the box has merit. I've seen this done on numerous installations. A picture frame type of molding is installed around the outlet's hole over the paneling, and then the box is inserted and fastened. The cover plate covers most of the molding and the final installation is quite neat and has a professional appearance.

Gard

skippyvcu
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-05-22 11:33 AM (#84466 - in reply to #84415)

Regular

One option that is more expensive is a self contained switch or receptacle.  They mount to the wall surface and don't use a box.  They use 14 gauge wire.  I have gotten them from http://www.dyersonline.com/c-111-switches-and-receptacles.aspx
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)