'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
technical advice.......4" ball extender vs 9" coupler extension

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-20 10:43 AM
3 replies, 3093 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

okeydar
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-05-17 12:56 PM (#84129)
Subject: technical advice.......4" ball extender vs 9" coupler extension

As posted before, I have a GMC 4 door short bed 1/2 ton truck. We have ordered a new 2H GN aluminum trailer and we are trying to figure out the best way to go. We at first thought the 9" would give us more turning radius. However, after Hubby started figuring things out by making a diagram, we are thinking the 4" will do better. We have 27 " from the back of the cab to the middle of the ball in the truck. It is a turn over one. Here is how he came up with this.

The 4" ball extender moves the ball backwards. But the 9" extender moves the coupler back and the ball stays the same. So that way the pivot point is entirely different.

So he is thinking the 4" will give us more turning radius without knocking out the glass. Plus the 4" extender is almost $200. cheaper.

I told him I would post this and hopefully I didn't mess it up. He had to make a wooden trailer front wall model and pivot it to show me what he was talking about so I could understand. Is there something that we are not comprehending?????

PS...I know we probably need to go to a 3/4 truck. Hopefully, we can put that off for a year or so.

Edited by okeydar 2008-05-17 1:00 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
TX Rebel
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-05-18 10:21 AM (#84153 - in reply to #84129)
Subject: RE: technical advice.......4" ball extender vs 9" coupler extension

I bought the 4" B&W extender to go with my B&W Turnover ball. My 2003 F-250 has a short bed and it gave pretty good clearance before I got the extender but I still had to be careful on those tight turns. Now with the 4" extender I have great clearance even on tight turns. Works great and would highly recommend it.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-05-19 5:27 AM (#84191 - in reply to #84129)

Elite Veteran

I had a 03 F250 CC SB. I opted to get the SB1 coupler extender and have no regrets at all. I can jack knife the trailer if need be. No worry about catching the back of the cab....I now have a 06 F250 ext cab SB and it still does fine...
okeydar
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-05-20 10:43 AM (#84324 - in reply to #84129)

Thank you for your posts.

I guess I was just surprised that the 4" ball extender gave us more turning radius than the 9" coupler extender and it is half the price. I just wanted to get more input to make sure we had that figured right.

Edited by okeydar 2008-05-20 10:48 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)