'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
A to Z Guest Ranch

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-09 5:10 PM
3 replies, 3272 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sunnydayranch
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-25 1:09 PM (#77912)
Subject: A to Z Guest Ranch

New User

Has anyone ever been to A to Z Guest Ranch in Oklahoma?  I am trying to decide whether to go there for vacation or to Horse Heaven Ranch or to go camp at Cedar Lake.  Any opinions???  Or other ideas? I have a 10 year old son to entertain!!!  We will take our horses, but might like to go 4-wheeling or canoeing or something like that. 

Thanks!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-02-26 7:48 AM (#77999 - in reply to #77912)
Subject: RE: A to Z Guest Ranch

Veteran

I went there when it was called Tinkled Pink, had a pretty shady campground.  Trails were not great.  I have heard it's better now.  Been to HH , most recently last fall.  Most of the trails there are pretty rocky.  You may also want to consider J-D.  It is on 144 between Hanobia and Octavia.  Also went there last fall and liked it much better than HH.  Trials are not as rocky.  Also, the owner (Jo) is really friendly and will take groups out to show them the trails.  There is actually a trail you can ride all the way to A-Z. 

Website is J-Dtrailriding.com

sunnydayranch
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-26 8:56 AM (#78007 - in reply to #77912)

New User

Thanks so much for the info! I will check it out!
Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-03-09 5:10 PM (#79110 - in reply to #77912)

I was there when it was Tickled Pink as well, years ago. I hear the owners are great, but the others were also. I've also been to Horse Heaven. The pull-throughs were quite sharp, and I now have a longer trailer, so not sure how hard it would be to get in and out. But the trails were nice, and the owners were great, but honestly - we didn't get to ride much. It rained all weekend!  It's close to Talihina, so there's a few things to do, but no Walmart or movie theatre. My friends went to JD without me, and I'm not sure how they liked it. My favorite is truly Cedar Lake. The campground is imaculate - all paved roads, graveled spots, nice tables and bath house. And the trails are marked clearly. And there's a camp host, rangers, etc. that are always helpful. You can drive into Heavener for Pizza Hut, Sonic, or go on to Poteau (about 30 minutes) for everything, including Walmart! But for a ten year old boy (mine's 12 now), I'd say the perfect place would be Robbers Cave near Wilburton. Not as much trails per miles, but there's a swimming pool nearby (with lifeguards), fishing lake, paddle boats, miniature golf, and huge catfish to feed off the pier - all about 3 minutes from the equestrian campground. And the Robbers Cave area (really a cave where robbers hid from the marshalls during Indian Territory days) is incredible - great for hiking and climbing. The cave has been closed, but getting there is worth the hiking. I can't remember if Wilburton has a Walmart, be it has Sonic, Pizza Hut, and some great steak restaraunts. There's also a cafe' near the lake, but not sure if it's open. We're going June 7 for the National Trails Day weekend, a sponsored OETRA event.

So I guess for riding and camping I would easily vote Cedar Lake. For a kid - hands down Robbers Cave. My son loves it there.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)