'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
SOURCE OF LQ PARTS

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-26 6:30 PM
3 replies, 2903 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-26 10:01 AM (#75313)
Subject: SOURCE OF LQ PARTS

Expert

A constant request often posted in this forum is a source of RV parts for the DIYers. There is a continual demand for new and used interior components, for the construction and upgrade of LQs for horse trailers.

A new thread suggested the acquisition of damaged trailers, which are in limited supply and not readily available. There are other sources of which I am familiar.

Truck and pull behind campers are one. I have, on several occasions owned used truck campers. They are self contained and have most of the same appliances that are common in LQs. This would include an equipped kitchen, bath and shower with holding tanks, hot water heater, furnace, shore and 12v supply with converters/chargers and some have a/c units.  I have paid as low as $200 for one and a high of $900. I tallied up the value of the useable parts I could recover from one and it exceeded $3500.

Travel trailers are also another source, but there seem to be fewer being set aside than the truck campers. Working used trailers also seem to be more valuable and therefore more expensive.

At one time there were many manufacturers of truck campers; this has been drastically reduced to a few now. Everywhere I go, there are unused older campers sitting in yards and fields. The condition of the frame and exterior is not important, it's what it contains and in what condition the components are, that's important. Most of these campers can be had for a nominal price, usually you can have it if you take it away. I literally could obtain a half a dozen this afternoon if I went searching. Most people don't even advertise their sale anymore, because there is little demand. If the cheap wood frame is rotted, a rebuild easily exceeds the value of the unit. Most junk dealers won't be bothered with their removal.

On the South Eastern coast and Gulf states, after every major storm, are thousands of damaged boats. Many are damaged beyond an economic repair and are written off by the insurance companies. Most marinas and boat yards have all the repairs they can handle, and as a result, there is a surplus of reconstruction to effect. These boats are then sold for scrap value and no longer are viable to again be used.

Many have the same interiors that RV have with one caveat; the interior components are much better built and are of an industrial quality. Marine components are very expensive new. They are built to work in a poor environment of moisture, corrosive salts and temperature extremes.

Many land fills will not accept these boats, unless they are greatly reduced in volume by cutting a hull up into much smaller pieces. This is an added expense for a person wishing to rid himself of a worthless hulk. A few calls to some local boat yards and insurance companies would provide another source of parts.

The only downside of these sources is getting rid of the shell or hull when it has been stripped of valuable parts. The aluminum skin of the campers can easily be resold without a problem, but in some areas, a fiberglass hull can be considered a hazardous waste.

One of the members in our 4H club bought a wrecked motor home for $1200. He stripped the interior of all its components, and then sold the mechanical drive train parts for $2000. He ended up with a nice trailer interior, and with a little work actually made a profit.

If you look around and are willing to do a little work, many of these used RV parts can be purchased from several sources.

BOL  gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-26 11:26 AM (#75319 - in reply to #75313)
Subject: RE: SOURCE OF LQ PARTS

Veteran

I have such junk items in my yard right now.  I am in Central California.  Very servicable are (2) 4 burner stoves with ovens, (1) water heater, misc propane connections, sinks, newer toilet, windows, vents, ref probably won't work anymore.  THEY ARE FREE FOR THE TAKING.  I hate wasting anything.

qplady
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-01-26 2:01 PM (#75326 - in reply to #75313)

Regular

My husband ( Ipicked it out) got all my stuff for my LQ's at the RV places in Ind and Mich that have excess parts many have websites, we drove and got things as needed, made a nice day away from home, a few things off of ebay
wendy
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-26 6:30 PM (#75342 - in reply to #75313)

Charter Member

My mom had one of those truck campers and now I think I could choke her for selling it (for like $100) just because of the stuff inside we could have now used.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)