'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Where to camp in Florida

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-14 6:58 AM
3 replies, 3656 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-08 7:15 PM (#70731)
Subject: Where to camp in Florida

Extreme Veteran

I live in Florida and I'm looking for a good place to camp, that's not too far away, in January for a long weekend. I have been to Tillis Hill, Alafia River State Park, Spirit of the Suwanee, McCully's, and Green Swamp West. I would prefer a hook-up but if it is REALLY nice I would consider semi-primitive (I like to have water). I know there are lots of good places out there that I haven't been. I'd like to keep it within a 3 or 4 hour drive so Blackwater would be out.

Any ideas? Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-11-13 11:40 AM (#71069 - in reply to #70731)
Subject: RE: Where to camp in Florida

Elite Veteran

State parks:  Lake Louisa, Lower Weikiva, Kissimmee Prairie, O'Leno, and St. Sebastian Buffer - none have electric, but water is available though not to hook directly to your trailer.   Check out the Fla state park website and you can search each park for it's facilties. I just camped at Sebastian for their Poker Ride and we had a great time.

River Rise Resort has a website and it's private, but across the street from O'Leno and same side as River Rise St Park.  Electric/water hookups, paddocks you can rent, and small shower/restroom. 

Princess Place near St Augustine I've heard it's lovely haven't been yet.  no electric but water for horses and I think showers.

Blackprong Equestrian Center on the Goethe Forest has delux facilties - apts, stalls, full hook-ups, showers, restrooms, and pastures. 

Tidewater TH on the Goethe is primitive, but very nice.  Just camped there in Oct.

Lake Panasofkee has water, 8 stall barn, restrooms (no showers) huge pavilion, and very pretty trails.  Very close to you and FREE to camp through SW WMA.

Dupuis near Indiantown has water for the horses, stalls, paddocks, restrooms and showers. 25,000 acres to ride in, but need to check hunting dates.  very popular location for us in South Fla.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 5:47 PM (#71111 - in reply to #71069)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the info! I will check out some of those places. I'm actually very familiar with Black Prong as I know the owners and compete in combined driving. It is a lovely place for sure.

It's strange how you can live in a state and still not know where some of the best camping is.

My cousin wants to go South so perhaps we'll check out Indiantown.

Tammy

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-11-14 6:58 AM (#71151 - in reply to #70731)

Elite Veteran

our club will be camping there MLK weekend in Jan along with all the usual locals so it will be very busy that weekend.  But the campground can hold about 75-80 rigs since the horses can mainly fit in the 40 stalls and 12 1/2 to 5 acre paddocks. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)