'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Wiring Electric Trailer Brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-09 6:50 AM
3 replies, 3321 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

maverick8
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-05-07 8:18 AM (#41382)
Subject: Wiring Electric Trailer Brakes

I am looking for information, schematics, or links on how to install electric brakes on my trailer.  Not the controller in the truck, but the brakes to the trailer.  It is an '83 Hartman dual axle two horse bumper pull if that matters. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-07 9:05 AM (#41384 - in reply to #41382)
Subject: RE: Wiring Electric Trailer Brakes

Expert

Originally written by maverick8 on 2006-05-07 9:18 AM

I am looking for information, schematics, or links on how to install electric brakes on my trailer. Not the controller in the truck, but the brakes to the trailer. It is an '83 Hartman dual axle two horse bumper pull if that matters. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A couple of generalisations;

Brake magnets typically draw 3 amps each.
They are wired in parallel, so be sure your wiring is adequate for at least 12 amps.

Ground (return) seems to vary, you may have a short ground wire with a terminal already crimped on it that is to be put on an existing stud that is a good ground.
Alternatively, you may have to connect all the grounds and run them together back to the trailer's ground plug. Again, 3 amps each or 12 for the set.

This is likely to draw some disagreement;
Avoid soldering terminals onto the ends of wires, or soldering wires together.
The solder wicks up the wire, which then becomes rigid (though "strong"), it will break instead of bending.
Use crimps ONLY !
As I said, "likely to draw some disagreement" (-:

Edited by Reg 2006-05-07 9:24 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-07 12:17 PM (#41387 - in reply to #41384)

Expert

Originally written by Reg on 2006-05-07 8:05 AM

This is likely to draw some disagreement; Avoid soldering terminals onto the ends of wires, or soldering wires together. The solder wicks up the wire, which then becomes rigid (though "strong"), it will break instead of bending. Use crimps ONLY ! As I said, "likely to draw some disagreement" (-:

I like solder joints.  Here's why:

You are correct that a solder joint becomes rigid.  But so is the crimp.  Both types of connection will cause wire flex beyond the joint.  The solution is to mechanically support all joints.  Don't leave the connection hanging by the wires.  A solder joint has the advantage of corrosion resistance.  Only the crimps and wire nuts with the wire sealant are better for ease of application. 

Rander
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-05-09 6:50 AM (#41482 - in reply to #41382)

The link below may be some help. It's a lottle long but I think some of the answers you want are there. http://haystackhill.com/Wiring.html
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)