'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trail Riding

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-10-20 10:39 AM
3 replies, 3705 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

layc
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2010-10-19 12:32 PM (#126003)
Subject: Trail Riding

New User

Hello folks,  I am new on this site but would like to introduce myself.  I am Carol and live in Central Missouri. We have 9 Foxtrotters.  We trail ride all the time.  We ride at Whishpering Pines Horse camp at Jadwin MO.  Nice family camp, quite and plently of room.  I beleive we have only missed 3 weekends going all summer.  There is riding for all abilities.  Some pretty rocky trails, some flat, lots of hills and you cross Current River lots of times.  You could ride several days and not be on the same trail.  You see deer, turkey, squirrel, armodilos ( I haven't this year). Come up on old homesteads way back in the woods. Wonderful riding.  I do not ride as much as my hubby but he knows almost all the trails and has a very good since of direction.  Never gets lost.    We ride mostly with Quarter Horse riders because we don't like to burn the trail.  We like to stop and see what is going on.  The storm that came through 2 years ago really messed up some of the trails but most are open again.  Some of the senerey has changed but it is still great.  Hubby guides several people on the trail, just because he wants to ride that much.  We camp alot and have met some really neat folks.  If you want to come here  and haven't been before let us know and we will show you around.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-10-19 3:30 PM (#126021 - in reply to #126003)
Subject: RE: Trail Riding

Veteran

Welcome layc and Thanks for the invite.  Not too far down the road from you....might get up there someday.

We ride QH, mostly trail ride. Love to camp with the horses. From here we go West to Crowleys Ridge AR, east to Buffalo River at Waynesboro, TN, North to Natchez Trace and south to Stinking Jims in Houston MS. Those are our "regular " trips, but we plan on venturing out more next year.

This is a fun place and you will enjoy it. C ya

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-10-19 4:40 PM (#126025 - in reply to #126003)

Veteran

Hi Layc,  thanks for the info,  what would you say is the best month -to ride in MO?  temperature wise and are there biting flys/bugs in the area you mentioned?

thanks 

I ride a walker that can walk with the QH when asked, and 90% of time I go slow also 

layc
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2010-10-20 10:39 AM (#126054 - in reply to #126025)

New User

Hello,

April and May are really good months.  July and August can be pretty hot. We had some 100 degree days.  The big horseflys come in July and August-but we were not bothered by them much this year. Not to much with the deer flies, either. We always put on fly stuff each time we go out. Some trails along the river you can not ride in August because of the itch weed.  Some horse just go bonkers in that stuff.  By September that is usually down enough to ride. We have had some superb riding this year.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)