'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Would you purchase a trailer this old?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-05 8:41 AM
3 replies, 3453 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mydaddysjag
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-03-04 9:35 AM (#117238)
Subject: Would you purchase a trailer this old?

Im on a search for a small trailer to haul my minis in. Ideally I would like a trailer that is 5x5x8 or 5x5x10 and preferably an unladen weight of under 1500 lbs. Im only hauling 1 or 2 horses now. Thats still big enough for me to haul 3 and tack in. Its been pretty hard finding a mini trailer that size used, everyone holds on to them for the convenience, and I really dont want to buy a new trailer right now (new baby on the way and dont want to have a loan to pay off since ill be on maternity leave for a little while).

I came across an older trailer that while its not a mini trailer, it is very small. Its a 1962 Rice trailer, steel and aluminum. Its 5'6" tall, 7' long, and I dont know the width yet. Other than an older body style, it does not look its age from the pictures they sent. Looks like all it needs is a good wash and wax. The only downfall I see is that the trailer does not have windows, just the open top above the ramp. Im pretty big on ventilation, is it a huge pain to add windows? Ive seen them for sale, but im just wondering how hard it is.
Also, what else would you worry about if looking at a trailer this old?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-04 10:38 AM (#117241 - in reply to #117238)
Subject: RE: Would you purchase a trailer this old?

Expert

There's a 1964 Rice for sale on E bay. It will be more difficult installing windows in that type of siding than a smooth skin. It can be done, just takes some additional framing first.

The year of the trailer isn't as important as its condition. The frame is steel, and most back then weren't coated or properly rust proofed. It will have to be carefully inspected. Plan on purchasing new tires, bearings and probably brakes. The hitch and lighting will probably need some attention.

What kind of Jag?

mydaddysjag
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-03-05 3:49 AM (#117259 - in reply to #117238)

It is the trailer on ebay. It's the size I need, which seems pretty darned hard to find, especially in aluminum. I emailed the seller a few questions like what is the unladen and gross weight, and also if I would be able to see the trailer in person before the auction ends (I wont buy any trailer sight unseen or just by pictures) You cant tell in the pictures, im wondering if the white area of the trailer is smooth on the sides, and if so, thats where I was wondering about installing small windows.

mydaddysjag was actually the registered name of my first barrel horse whom I recently retired at a friends place. She was that once in a lifetime horse for me. A big chestnut mare with a heart of gold. I decided it wasnt fair to run her in her twenties, so shes at a friends on pasture, and gets trail ridden a few days a week.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-03-05 8:41 AM (#117265 - in reply to #117238)

Expert

I am not sure but dose the trailer have light I am not sure when the law was change that all trailer have to have electrical brakes and lights just check
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)