'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Question Regarding Prices of Used Trucks

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-24 1:28 PM
3 replies, 2606 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

als6h
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 11:55 AM (#93542)
Subject: Question Regarding Prices of Used Trucks

New User

Hello All. I enjoy reading (and learning from) the posts on this forum. I've finally decided to take the plunge and purchase a truck. I'm looking for a used 1/2 or 3/4 truck with a factory-installed tow package, v8+, 4WD, low miles. I plan on pulling a 2H bumper pull (w/in towing specs). The truck would primarily be used for local towing.But my question(s) are: I've been combing through the classifieds for the past few weeks and the trucks sold by individuals are priced significantly higher (25%+) than what is listed in KBB or Edmunds w/ similar features/vehicle quality. Most sellers do not wish to negotiate. Is there some calculation that KBB/Edmunds doesn't take into consideration when pricing these vehicles? I'm just trying to reconcile the difference.Many trucks I see have high miles imo (130k+), and I'm leery of spending so much more than the book value for a vehicle with so many miles. I understand it varies by the care with which the truck was treated, but do these (not to sound unpatriotic) American-made vehicles really last that long (and longer) w/o on-going repairs? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edited by als6h 2008-10-24 11:57 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
drafthorsejunkie
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 12:03 PM (#93544 - in reply to #93542)
Subject: RE: Question Regarding Prices of Used Trucks

I would imagine it depends on where you live as far as the prices. May help to look at clissifieds from many areas, and maybe have t travel alittle bit if you are able to.

As far as the high mileage, I am no expert. But if you are looking at any Diesel trucks, 130,000 or so isnt really high for them, we have a few with over 200,000 on them, maybe closer to 300,000. At under 150,000 my hubby would say, "ahhhh just broke in" LOL

It just really depends on the truck and how it was maintained.

This also may be a time of year that is a little higher for trucks as we go into winter. More demand for them.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Truck shopping is fun....but a pain, I can relate! Ahhh if only money grew on trees

fsh3406
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 12:04 PM (#93545 - in reply to #93542)

Most of the time personal sellers whose prices are high are overfinanced on their trucks. KBB & others are posting current market vakues based on current market conditions in an area. Keep looking and you will find one priced correctly. Good Luck...
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 1:28 PM (#93556 - in reply to #93542)

Expert

First off, kbb and nada are just used as a guide line ONLY! Most people think if it is wrote on the net it is right! WRONG! I am in the car buisness and have been since 1983 and hear stuff all the time about book this, book that. Hog wash, the truck is worth what you want to give for it.
2 weeks ago I sold a 2000 FORD F-250 crew cab diesel 2wd with 124-k miles and a really nice truck for 6850.00. The man that bought is had a hard time getting his bank to loan because the book value said it was worth closer to 10-k! I had to take them the truck so they could inspect it for themself before they made the loan. They told me that if the truck was priced closer to book value there would not have been an issue. Now is that stupid or what? That is why we are in a buy out mess.

The reason trucks are priced higher from the pubilc is because they are upside down for some reason or another. Right now is the time to buy, but check it out good! Spend time and run a autocheck or carfax before you buy.
GOOD LUCK
FYI, dealers will work on the price more than you think!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)