'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
CM Dakota-good or bad?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-17 10:22 PM
3 replies, 3596 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-17 6:52 PM (#87655)
Subject: CM Dakota-good or bad?

Regular

I am considering a CM Dakota 2H slant. Does anyone have any good/bad experience with this trailer? Warnings or recommendations? This will be my 1st trailer--when I was a kid my folks hauled the horses--wish I'd learned then. So I will be learning as I go. I'm planning to buy a truck too. Could I haul this with an F150 (or similar) with a tow package? I'm in Houston so no mountains or snow.

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-07-17 8:31 PM (#87657 - in reply to #87655)
Subject: RE: CM Dakota-good or bad?

Extreme Veteran

I am no expert but I would think you would be fine hauling a 2h with an F150.  To be sure, check the weight of the trailer (think about how much weight you would be adding with horses and tack) and then check your owners manual of your truck.  I hauled a 2 horse  GN 16 ft steel trailer with a 97 F150 (5.4L)with an upgraged rear end with NO problems.  Good Luck!
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-17 9:10 PM (#87658 - in reply to #87655)

Expert

CM generally makes a sound safe useful trailer.  We have a gooseneck stock trailer by them, for hauling cattle and sometime horses as well, and the paint has held up really well, and there are several features that make you think the engineers know something about how to help keep animals from hurting themselves in the trailer, and some features that help the hinges etc last well.  Our neighbors sold one that they had kept for about 5 years and received within 500.00 of what they paid for it.  It looked still very new.  They did take excellent care of it.
jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-17 10:22 PM (#87662 - in reply to #87655)

Regular

Thanks for the input! It seemed solid when I looked at it, but I really don't know enough. Your comments are reassuring.

Another question on the slantload...I've been reading Scheve's book (very helpful) on buying a horse trailer, and it says that even a small horse needs 9' length and 3' stall width. Applying some trigonometry to the floor plan of the CM slant gives me about 7.35' length and 21" width (measured at right angles and center fron to center back). This is for the front stall--of course the back stall would have more room.  Is 9' L x 3' wide really necessary? Surely people haul horses in these all the time. I have a half-arab about 14-2 hands...anything smaller would be close to a pony. I also picked up the info sheet for the basic straight load manger model. This actually has more length and width for the stalls, but I had been leaning toward the slant as it would be a little longer, hopefully more stable, and have a dressing room for not much more $$. Thanks...I may post the dimension question on another thread so maybe other people wil read. I really appreciate all I'm learning here!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)