'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
NEW (to us!) 4H Merhow all AL (Very Lite)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-23 10:43 PM
3 replies, 2602 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-06-23 10:20 AM (#86184)
Subject: NEW (to us!) 4H Merhow all AL (Very Lite)

Veteran

Going to pick it up this weekend. It is in nice shape- brakes have been redone @ dealer. I already checked out the floor- looks to be in excellent shape (is the Verylite with all AL floor).Sale is contingent on final inspection, just wondering if there is anything else I should be ready to look at? Going to do a short haul drive test as well before writing the check. Has 4' short wall weekender with just microwave/fridge and cabinets- no running water but does have a propane bottle and external grill for cooking as well as awning. Is wired for 110 but doesn't have A/C (yet!). Nice looking trailer and the weight is what got us- 4H with LQ (granted, minimal LQ) but empty weight is #4800 per the truck scale. The Merhow sure seemed like a well built trailer. Shows use (is a 1999 model) but no abuse. Just wondering if there is anything I should really look for? We have another trailer we were looking at (same price from a private seller). It is in nicer shape (looks to be hardly used) but it is older by several years and is steel and heavy. Has a nicer LQ but with that and the steel comes at a premium for weight. With the AL trailer I think we have a better value (smaller LQ and smaller fuel bills). My wife and I have been doing a lot of trailering this year and staying in hotels on weekends has gotten really old. Price on trailer payments is about the same as what we have been paying in hotels every month, but at least we will have something to show for it! That and I will not have to wake up and pack up all my stuff (although no more free breakfasts! :-)Plan on adding AC in a few months if I can find one cheap on E-bay or elsewhere.Cheers, just thought I would share!

Edited by statzk 2008-06-23 12:03 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-23 4:49 PM (#86206 - in reply to #86184)
Subject: RE: NEW (to us!) 4H Merhow all AL (Very Lite)

Expert

Carefully check your tires not only for dry rot but age. If your tires are original, they would be suspect for continued reliability. Unfortunately it is difficult to check the age, because it is stamped on the inside of the tires. If your dealer has a floor jack and a creeper, it is a quick process. Any tire over 6 years old should be on your short list for a change.

Pull the mats and check the floor for pitting and corrosion, especially on the butt side along the wall

Check underneath the trailer, particularly the undercarriage and the frame. Look at the welds at the major junctions, and where the steel axle mounts join the frame.

Check all the doors and windows for proper operation, loose hinges, faulty latches etc. Check that the brakes actually work, and ensure the break away brake function is working. Some states require this for inspection.

Before you leave, check the running lights, and make sure the hitch is secure and operates properly. Look on the roof for missing or broken vents, make sure each one in the stall area opens and closes correctly.

Enjoy your trailer!

Gard

statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-06-23 9:37 PM (#86222 - in reply to #86184)

Veteran

Thanks Gard, that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

I will see about a creeper and look underneath.  I already got a pretty good look at the floor as they were power washing the inside when we looked at the trailer.  It had just come in that morning we were at the dealer and it wasn't "for sale" yet, but we looked around at it.  I spoke with the mechanic who had ckecked the brakes and the overall condition of the trailer.  It was used, but looks to have been well maintained  I will but will pull the mats and look again, because that is one pretty hefty check we are writing.  We are financing through our bank so they are cutting us a check so we can pay the dealership ourselves.

I am planning on hauling it around to check brakes and how it hauls down the road before writing that big fat check too.  I have another trailer I can get for the same $$, we just like this one better.  If I find any red flags I will have the dealer fix it or walk away.  All the windows/doors worked, but didn't check the vents.  One of the drop down windows had a broken (ripped) screen, but I can replace that pretty easy- not worth fussing over, most trailers don't even have screens!  My wife really liked that, she has me keep the plexiglass on the nose side of our trailer year round- after all the horses don't want bugs hitting them in the face at 65MHP any more than I do!

I hope the hitch will be fine.  I am going to install it myself- taking Friday off work to install the hitch then make the 2 hour (each way) drive to pickup the trailer.

I'll post pics once we pick it up (if we do indeed go through, as I hope we do!).

Thanks!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-23 10:43 PM (#86231 - in reply to #86184)

Expert

Forgot to add: open the awning all the way, checking its operation. Make sure it rolls back and locks up. Get some some extra safety straps, and make sure the dealer gives you the pull rod for the awning.

Best of luck  Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)