'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Please use these...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-23 4:22 PM
3 replies, 3128 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-06-22 10:18 AM (#86160)
Subject: Please use these...

Veteran

Public lands that are absolutely FREE. I visited Finger Lakes National Forest and Sugar Hill ( Six Nations Trail System) in Western NY yesterday. They are fantastic clean and quiet. Spoke with the rangers at both places. Attendance at these places is down up to 40%. Sugar Hill has been improved with running  ( chlorinated) water and the restrooms are nearly complete. At both places there were only 2 groups of users.I know things are tight with fuel but most of us can't stay at a private camp for less than $50 a night and this will cost you nothing ( give serious consideration to giving a donation). As equestrians we need to use these places and keep the interest up or they go the way of the do-do. I am definitely coming up here next year with the trailer loaded to the gills fo a weeks stay. One couple had been at Sugar Hill since Monday and they had the place to themselves until Friday. Finger Lakes has 11 sites, pit toilets ( they were clean) and hitch racks at each site. Sugar Hill has 16 NICE tie stalls under roof, running water, will have flush toilets, an observation tower and miles of trails. Both sites the ranger reports portable fence / corral OK just don't get carried away.Plenty of grass.Rangers visit several times a day so there is no funny business. I feel for the private camps and still support a couple but the economy dictates we be more frugal at the same time.Any other economical places out there ? FYI all NY DEC camps are FREE.Rich
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-06-22 10:33 PM (#86176 - in reply to #86160)
Subject: RE: Please use these...

Expert

Here in Utah we camp almost 100% on Public Lands. One of the things that Back Country Horseman and other groups push, is for every horseman to sign in on the trail registry as the head down a trail. Mainly just to show a presence of horses on the trails. If the forest service doesn't think trails are being used by horses, they may elect to not maintain them or keep them open.

So yes support your public trail system and sign in.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-23 3:15 PM (#86202 - in reply to #86176)

Expert

Is there a website that lists the public trails?  There are several STATE parks near here, but they don't allow horses. 

I just looked up the website for the Back Country Horsemen Assn and there is a club not to far from here.  Well, about 70 miles away.

Edited by Terri 2008-06-23 3:18 PM
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-06-23 4:22 PM (#86203 - in reply to #86160)

Extreme Veteran

I ride and camp in the USFS National Grasslands quite often and have yet to pay a fee for anything.

Good thread.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)