'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
weight distributing hitch questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-03 6:59 PM
3 replies, 2791 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sheryl63
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-06-01 7:03 PM (#84997)
Subject: weight distributing hitch questions

According to the Ford tow guide, I should use a WDH anytime towing more then 5000# with my F150.  My set up will be in the 4,000- 5,000# range.  The trailer sales person (who also happens to be a Ford dealership) said to go by if the backend is lowered - if it is level you don't need it.

So, I have a few questions, first if you are staying around 5,000, is the WDH still useful safety insurance?  What I mean is, does it contribute anything positive to the towing experience even if the truck is level without it?

I read the review of the Equal-izer on this website, and it sounds wonderful.  It also costs twice as much as just a regular Reese or draw-tite WDH.  Is it worth the price difference?  Is it actually easier to use?

I haven't used the WDH before because I used to tow with a big 3/4ton Diesel that didn't even know the trailer was back there.  With my new half ton truck, I have had no problems or concerns towing my 2100# stock trailer and one horse.  I plan to tow a little more weight in the future - getting me to the 4000-5000# range so that is why I am thinking WDH now.

thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-06-02 6:41 AM (#85018 - in reply to #84997)
Subject: RE: weight distributing hitch questions

Expert

Technically the guy at the dealership is correct.  As the load (tongue weight) is applied to the rear the back drops and the front will raise.  The front rise is the problem, that indicates weight removed from the front axle.....which is what you want to avoid for proper braking and steering.

Sounds like the trailer weight youll be looking at will be right at the begining limit for a WDH.  IF you truck sits level there will be little need for a WDH.  Personally I would get the trailer and do a test pull before I shelled out the money for a WDH. 

I used the Equal-i-zer on my Trailblazer.  I prefer it to the "standard" WDH, it can be had from Rv wholesalers for $400. 

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=268&cat=74&page=2

You may also want to take a look at this new Reese product.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-WD4~49580.htm

Here is some decent reading about WDH if youre interested.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_weightdistribution.aspx

Sheryl63
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-06-03 9:33 AM (#85126 - in reply to #84997)

Thank you for info!  $400 is better - much closer in price to the "other" wdh.

Why do you prefer the equali-zer to a traditional wdh? 

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-06-03 6:59 PM (#85158 - in reply to #84997)

Expert

I prefered the washer/spacer rivet tilt head, as opposed to the toothed washer type.  The snap up brackets (L brackets) required a smaller hole in the tongue skirt/a frame cover.  No chains on the spring bars.  And although a 2H BP cant really sway, the built in sway control of the Equal-i-zer cant hurt.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)