'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Inside Trailer Height.....question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-10 12:03 PM
3 replies, 3569 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horcgal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-03-09 10:11 AM (#79075)
Subject: Inside Trailer Height.....question

I found a stock trailer that is the right price, practically new, excellent condition, etc......BUT, inside its only 6 high.

Does anyone haul with a 6 high trailer? Im sure everyone always wishes thier trailer were taller/wider/longer/etc. so I wont ask that. but, is 6 high ok? do your horses load on it and ride on it ok or is it a major issue? mine are stock type horses (quarters/paint), the smallest is 14.3 and when the filly is done growing she will probably be the biggest at around 15.3.

New trailers are outrageously expensive and Ive been seeing used trailers that are priced barely below brand new! so, to find this one at a reasonable price thats been taken care of, hardly used, all the stuff I want/need.....except the stinking HEIGHT!!! Im not sure how big of an issue that is going to be.

Supposed to take my boyfriend to look at it today so if anyone is online and can give me thier opinions/experiences with a 6 ft high trailer, please post so I know if I should even bother getting my hopes up and going to make an offer on it.

THANKS

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-09 11:17 AM (#79085 - in reply to #79075)
Subject: RE: Inside Trailer Height.....question

Expert

I would not recommend purchasing a trailer of that height. You will quickly find that it will be too low for most horses. Quickly replacing that trailer with another, will be more costly than buying a single more suitable trailer now.

A 7' trailer works well, a 7 1/2' is probably the best all around height.

Gard

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-03-09 11:55 AM (#79090 - in reply to #79075)

Elite Veteran

I would strongly advise against a 6 foot high trailer. Last fall I sold my 15 h, 10 yr old gelding QH who never had a problem loading. Lead him to the trailer and he would load himself. Well, the guy came with a 6 ft high trailer. Gelding started in, somehow banged his head on the roof and backed right out. Took almost an hour to coax him back in. Then he looked so uncomfortable that I almost wanted to deliver him myself. Couldn't hold his head up at all. He rode in a 6'6" traler with no problem. I'm 6'4" and was uncomfortable in the 6 foot trailer.
adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-10 12:03 PM (#79178 - in reply to #79075)

Veteran

As everybody else said I wouldn’t buy a 6ft trailer: they are not very popular and hence the low value(resale would be even tougher) and it will be uncomfortable for the horses and any person to step in. Also, by getting such a short trailer you will inhibit your ability to get a different type of horse in the future if you ever want to get a bigger/taller one…plus a taller one will have better air.

We have a 7’6” and it’s fine for our three horses (16h, 16.2h and a growing draft that might reach 18 (17 or so now))
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)