'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brake fuses blowing like a dead short....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-12-29 11:30 PM
3 replies, 3152 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Hankster1958
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-12-29 4:38 PM (#139719)
Subject: Brake fuses blowing like a dead short....

This setup has been on this truck for YEARS now.... but very recently, the fuses started blowing, then, they blew right off, like a dead short. However, if I CUT the red trigger wire, from my brake pedal TO the box.... the trucks lights work fine, NO fuse issues.Further... the Trailer Brake Box fuse, now doesn't blow either..... haven't hooked the trailer up yet, to see if it is powering out if manually manipulated....Will do so tomorrow.....so the Question is.... does the trailer brake box ITSELF..... have a brake pedal "power in" from the pedal switch short inside it?? Is this possible?? anyone ever have one/see this before?? Thanks! hank
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
n2stitch
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2011-12-29 10:28 PM (#139731 - in reply to #139719)
Subject: RE: Brake fuses blowing like a dead short....

Hey, I'm no help, but wanted to wave hello at you!

Edited by n2stitch 2011-12-29 10:30 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-12-29 11:11 PM (#139733 - in reply to #139719)

Expert

If you cut the red power wire to the controller, chances are the manual override won't work.

If the red wire is not cut, and a manual application also blows the fuse, you may have a truck wiring short to ground. Remove the BLUE wire from the controller to the brakes, and see if the fuse blows. If it doesn't, the truck wiring is probably grounded. If the fuse again blows, it is probably the controller. If the short is resolved by cutting the B+ wire, the controller may be at fault with an internal ground.

If I read your thread correctly, you said the problem occured even when the trailer was disconnected?

I had the same problem a few years ago, and resolved the problem with the installation of a new controller. With only four wires to contend with, it is a fairly easy time to trouble shoot the system, by temporarily sistering a second controller, without having to remove the original.

Hankster1958
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-12-29 11:30 PM (#139734 - in reply to #139733)

If the red wire, from the brake pedal isn't disconnected.. fuse instantly pops.. so can't test anything...with it DIS -connected... truck brake fuse doesn't blow.. and the brake box fuse doesn't blow....BOTH do otherwise...
Box (white wire) ground is solid... blue wire good all the way back.... black power wire ok.... all that's left is that red.... GOT to be a bad box... all TRUCK wiring NOW works 100%.. since the Box was cut/separated from truck brake light wiring...
Odd.. but when it comes to these things... a LOT of Odd stuff goes wrong!!

ALL this, is with the trailer NOT hooked up..... correct. Just the truck...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)