'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Transmission problems

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-05 10:32 PM
3 replies, 3532 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-08-03 2:18 PM (#123139)
Subject: Transmission problems

Veteran

I had post earlier about 08 ford vs 06 Dodge.  I am about 100% sure I am going with the Dodge the only other question I have is

Is there any big problems with the automatic transmissions in the 06 Mega Cabs with a cummins.  I have heard this is the only real knock against the dodge's.  Comments expierences please share

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-08-03 3:20 PM (#123142 - in reply to #123139)
Subject: RE: Transmission problems

Expert

Originally written by brew26 on 2010-08-03 2:18 PM

I had post earlier about 08 ford vs 06 Dodge.  I am about 100% sure I am going with the Dodge the only other question I have is

Is there any big problems with the automatic transmissions in the 06 Mega Cabs with a cummins.  I have heard this is the only real knock against the dodge's.  Comments expierences please share

Other than being a 4 speed vs. the 5 speed in the Ford as long as you do not add "big power" programmers to it they are just fine.....  The main downfall on the Dodge automatic is when people start adding alot of power (while towing) without upgrading the stock torque converter the converter will start to slip.  But this is just not a Dodge problem this can happen with any of the big 3 when adding power over stock.

So to answer your question as long as you stay stock or mild up grade on performance you will be fine.

dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-08-05 7:50 PM (#123231 - in reply to #123142)

Regular

Originally written by hogtownboss on 2010-08-03 3:20 PM
Originally written by brew26 on 2010-08-03 2:18 PM

Other than being a 4 speed vs. the 5 speed in the Ford as long as you do not add "big power" programmers to it they are just fine.....  The main downfall on the Dodge automatic is when people start adding alot of power (while towing) without upgrading the stock torque converter the converter will start to slip.  But this is just not a Dodge problem this can happen with any of the big 3 when adding power over stock.

So to answer your question as long as you stay stock or mild up grade on performance you will be fine.

Agreed. If any of the big name trucks had inadequate transmissions they would be gone. As long as you keep stock power levels, use the correct transmission fluid, and change the fluid and filter more often than the service manual requires, you'll be fine.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-08-05 10:32 PM (#123235 - in reply to #123139)

Expert

When we bought our truck, it was posted that the weakest parts of its drive train was the transmission and torque converter. After owning it for a short time, I opted for some improvements to increase its torque. This had the potential to make a bad situation worse. There are vendors that sell upgraded components, albeit at some hefty prices. Instead of swapping my transmission for a custom HD unit, I had a shift kit installed and the transmission fluid was switched to a synthetic, I only run my chip on the lowest setting (towing) and when towing, I accelerate as if there were an egg under my foot. I rarely use more than 2/3 throttle and engage the cruise at highway speeds.

I pull two different trailers, one fairly small and light, the other heavier and more modest in size. Knocking on wood, we have had absolute drive train reliability since it was new.

Like any piece of machinery, the reliability and longevity of your vehicle is dependent on its maintenance and your driving habits. Treat it well, and you'll be rewarded.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)