'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
OTTER CREEK OR BROOKFIELD?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-26 6:09 PM
3 replies, 4032 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horsecampr
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2010-07-23 7:36 PM (#122738)
Subject: OTTER CREEK OR BROOKFIELD?

WHICH DO YOU LIKE BEST? BEEN TO MANE STAY AT OTTER CREEK? OR THE FAIRGROUNDS AT BROOKFIELD? ALL INPUT GREATLY APPRECIATED.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-07-24 4:36 PM (#122757 - in reply to #122738)
Subject: RE: OTTER CREEK OR BROOKFIELD?

Extreme Veteran

Jut got back from Brookfield and an Otter creek.

I am happy to say I rode in Brookfield but truthfully will never return.

It was the same boring tree, trail and rock.  The senery never changed.  And our hores are shoeless so they had a tough time on the trails.  ALL the trails are rocky or become rocky.

Otter creek is awsome!

pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-07-26 9:38 AM (#122786 - in reply to #122738)

Hi,

We just got back from 5 days at Otter Creek. It was wonderful! We live 2 hours from Otter and 1/2 hour from Brookfield, so have been to both often. We always pick Otter over B-field for anything overnight. As another mentioned, the terrain and views are more varied at Otter besides the footing being less rocky. The rocks actually bother us less than the deep sucking mud after any rainy spells! Really slows ya down. :) The southern tip of B-field is less rocky than starting from the main assembly area, as I've heard are the trails starting from the fairgrounds. I wasn't aware that one could camp there? There's also a fee-based camping area at the southern tip. I can look up the name if you're interested. Mud swamps are possible 'bout anywhere. Otter must've gotten a bit more state funding this year as there are many trail and campground improvements in progress. (Some of the trails had been eroded to some serious safety issues.) Mud at Otter is a lot less of an issue except for one or two trails after really heavy rains as the drainage is very good (sandy). We have not stayed at Mane Stay or the other one nearby (Otter Creek Stables, I believe) but have visited both. Many folk really like to stay there. We stay at the free sites but then are not traveling a long distance to get there. If we had to go to Overflow, it wouldn't be a huge deal either... have to travel up to the main part for water and hi-line or otherwise tie the horses - no cover though.. It sure would be nice if they took reservations! We just plan to arrive when the odds are with us (Sunday thru Wednesday, generally). Feel free to email me directly if you have specific questions. It's just my username@gmail.com

And now... to Unpacking and LAUNDRY. ugh.

Mj
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-07-26 6:09 PM (#122812 - in reply to #122738)

Extreme Veteran

I should have mentioned there was a shinning light in our trip to Brookfield. 

We stayed in the above mentioned southern tip at the Pure Country campground.  It was a well put together place.  The actual trail system was GPS'd to be a 2 mile ride out across a field and up fairly smooth dirt road.  We enjoyed our stay there and claim its a dam shame the place is in the wrong forest.   We would love to return.  But we found no trails that were not mud sucking, rocky and tree'd.

Otter Creek is where we will continue to frequent.  We are 7 hours away.  And always stay at Otter Creek Stables which is a skip from the bottom of Hiawatha trail. We g every June and this year we are planning a fall trip back.  Bring some cash and a halter to tie, and make a top at the trail side restaurant.

And I concur a lot of bridge repair and hill work was done by the forest service this year.  Well done efforts.

If closer we would frequent there as much as we do in our own forest here in South Eastern Mass (Myles Standish State Park).

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)