'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Saddle Ridge Campground

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-06 9:18 PM
3 replies, 4063 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-05-06 10:33 AM (#104547)
Subject: Saddle Ridge Campground

Veteran

We are thinking about checking out Saddle Ridge Campground at Hillsdale Lake in KS. Would like to know if the trails are marked good, and can you usually get a camp site on the weekends without making reservations. I noticed that only 7 sites were reservable. Thanks for any info.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-05-06 12:45 PM (#104552 - in reply to #104547)
Subject: RE: Saddle Ridge Campground

Elite Veteran

Since Hillsdale is so close to me, I ride there almost every Sunday. The campground is set-up a bit strange. If you want to use a pen, then the sites without electric are available. The electric sites have picket poles. Water is close to each site and most sites have shade trees. Seems to me they should add electric to the sites with a pen too. I think that is the works. A new bath house has just been completed, but I haven't seen it inside.

The trails are somewhat marked, but really do not follow the provided map as there are many short-cuts. Kinda hard to get lost there though as the trail system is split between a gravel road and then a black-top road that goes to the dam.

Right now the trails are a muddy mess. Very rutted and some spots are rocky with muck in the mix. Some trails are hilly, others are flat. Typical Eastern Kansas terrain - hedge and black locust trees. Not spectacular beauty, but nice to have horse trails so close to home. Bring lots of fly spray as the horn flies are fierce not to mention ticks.

The trails on the campground side are mainly wooded and across the road going towards the spillway is mostly open riding with good areas for gaiting/trotting. There is also a wash rack, but bring a longer hose if you want to have an end with a nozzle. Bring your own firewood as there is a limited supply available for sale.

The windsurfer beach is just down the hill from the campground and is a nice place to take a little dip if the weather is warm.

On the weekend, check out Hillsdale Bank BBQ. They have excellent pork and also wood fired pizza after 5 pm. Hope you have a good time visiting my neck of the woods!

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-05-06 4:33 PM (#104561 - in reply to #104547)

Veteran

Thanks for the information, I think we will find somewhere else for next weekend. I would just as soon get away from the mud for awhile.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-05-06 9:18 PM (#104572 - in reply to #104547)

Elite Veteran

Southern MO is about the only place right now that is rideable without the worry from lots of mud. Huckleberry Stables or Ponderosa Trails in Pineville, MO are both nice.

I heard Eagle Ranch trails weren't too bad last weekend. Some muddy spots, but rideable.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)