'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse feed

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-04 8:25 AM
3 replies, 4249 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cb1118
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-04 7:41 AM (#92557)
Subject: Horse feed

New User

Fairly new to horse keeping.  Brought our daughter's horse home about 2 years ago after boarding for 2 years.  Currently we feed hay, rolled oats and vitamin and mineral supplements.  Thinking about switching to a pre mixed feed.  Was told to stay away from sweet feeds.

Has anyone used Patriot Feeds?  Also how do you tell if a feeds ingredients are fixed formula or variable?

Looking for opinions and what has worked for others.

Thanks 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-10-04 7:54 AM (#92558 - in reply to #92557)
Subject: RE: Horse feed

Elite Veteran

About all I can get in my area of rural southeast Kansas is Purina and I have never had any complaints about it. Have fed Strategy for years and used senior feed to good effect. Have also fed Moormans Senior Glo and found it to be excellent.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-10-04 8:13 AM (#92559 - in reply to #92557)

Elite Veteran

Triple Crown low starch. Sweet feed is quite a bit higher in non structural carbs. I went on Patriot's site and it appears they have a variety of feeds.

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/news-fixed-vs-variable-formulas.php?PRINT=1

Edited by Gone 2008-10-04 8:30 AM
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-10-04 8:25 AM (#92560 - in reply to #92557)

Regular

I've used Patriot 16 % protein along with my hay.  This brand of Patriot is not a complete feed.  I've have fed them to all ages with no problems.  Just make sure the Patriot feed you get is the complete feed.  They have three different complete feeds Feed Easy, Senior, and Junior.  Pat Cassidy at ADM is a wealth of information on how to feed Patriot and ADM products.  The Natural Glo nuggets are a great addition to feed extra calories with out the danger of feeding to much grain.  This past summer I had a mare that her baby was just bringing her down too quickly, pulled him off early, started feeding the nuggets and now two months later she is back to her great looking self.  BTY baby is doing great too.  When you start the change to the complete feed just remember make your changes slowly.  Start 1 lb Patriot for 5-7 days, up it to 2lbs for 5-7 days, keep uping it a 1lb every 5-7 days until you reach the recommended rate to feed.  Also remember to adjust hay down accordingly to each increase.  Also with a complete feed you don't need vitamin/min supplements its all in there. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)