'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
looooong trailers

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-12 10:33 PM
37 replies, 8170 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LoriA63
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-03-07 5:45 PM (#117317 - in reply to #117260)
Subject: RE: looooong trailers

Like genebob said, take as much room as you can ( I also drive school bus). I told my daughter when she first drove our 36' GN, when making a 90 degree turn, you need at least two lanes worth of space. You either need two lanes to turn into, or two lanes to turn out of. Hope that makes sense. My trailer barely fits into my driveway, so I also swing wide onto the shoulder, then go as far as possible with my front truck wheels before turning in. Make sure you have proper mirrors on your truck as well. You MUST be able to see around your rig, and then you can adjust them so you can see your trailer wheels. Have fun with your new rig!  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2010-03-07 8:04 PM (#117323 - in reply to #117260)

Extreme Veteran

When I go get hay, The driveway I pull into is quit a challenge. I have a fence on one side a set of mailboxes on the other. Oh, what a challenge. I have to pull off the shoulder and get in the ditch with my truck to make the turn. I have to be careful of traffic because I have had them try to pass me while doing this manuver....LOL If you saw me coming you would think, no way is he getting in that drive...LOL That is what the practice is all about. I have done it so many times the hay man says I make it look very easy...

sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-08 6:20 AM (#117327 - in reply to #117260)

Regular

We are blessed with a rather large yard. We have a round pen in one part of it (just a small part, actually!) I think we will take it down and move it to give us room to practice. Honestly the school parking lots around here are smaller (and if I remember right, they keep them locked these days! but I do plan to look at a few more) and the large Wal-mart parking lots are always full, at least at the hours I would be up.I know learning to drive the big things isn't a laughing matter as one person said, but I really appreciate some of you sharing your "lighter" moments. It made me laugh and took some of the stress off. At least if I do get myself in a stuck position, I will remember that I am not the first or only one to find myself in that predicament! I'm guessing my husband is going to want to throw in a chain saw for our first camping trip! Loves an excuse to use that thing...
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2010-03-08 9:16 PM (#117352 - in reply to #117260)

Extreme Veteran

While taking a right at a light on a 2 lane blacktop I have had to honk to get the idiot in the turning lane to back up and get out of the way. He no backy, me no forward, nor due he turn...LOL

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-03-08 10:55 PM (#117357 - in reply to #117352)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Spooler on 2010-03-08 9:16 PM

While taking a right at a light on a 2 lane blacktop I have had to honk to get the idiot in the turning lane to back up and get out of the way. He no backy, me no forward, nor due he turn...LOL

I've had the same experience before, air horns wake them up real fast!

Usually the problem has been that they don't stop where they are supposed to in the turn lane, they pull forward a full car length past the line.... even with the line in the non-turning lane. There's a reason to not do that!
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-03-09 4:52 AM (#117358 - in reply to #117260)

Elite Veteran

That has happened to me too. It's frustrating because I couldn't back up due to more cars behind me in the same lane. I stared at the driver, held my hands up and signaled him to back up. He had a shocked look on his face.....
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-03-09 1:28 PM (#117375 - in reply to #117260)

Extreme Veteran

We were talking about this same thing at the ride this weekend while comparing rig lengths. Our new one is I think 24 ft box. Whew I dont think I would want anything longer. I have an auxiliary fuel tank so carry 85 gallons which is sure nice with a longer rig. Someone pointed out I can go in a truck stop. True, but I often travel back roads and you dont always find truck stops on back roads. One friend has a long trailer and gas truck and really has issues finding places she can fit in. I have noticed so many stations add these little curb islands and such that do nothing but block traffic flow. In my maps and directions notebook in the truck cab I try and keep a list of towns with stations I can get in on routes I take often. Or I mark on my directions where there is a good stopping place. If you are going to stay several days and made it there on one tank you can always unhitch and go into a close town and refill the truck. Learning to get around takes time, patience and practice. Best thing is to never get in a hurry. Always put on your blinker really early and slow way down. Bigger rigs have helped my eating habits as I found I cant fit through most fast food places anymore. LOL Have to really watch height of tree limbs when going down town streets and be careful of road dips and curbs when I leave parking lots. Watch out for speed bumps also.
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-09 2:09 PM (#117380 - in reply to #117260)

Regular

That's a great idea to make notes of places to stop, etc. We also have an auxiliary fuel tank (hooray!), so hopefully that won't be much of an issue. I think I will measure exactly how high off the ground those tanks are - at least I'll have an idea!
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-03-09 2:23 PM (#117381 - in reply to #117260)

Elite Veteran

For cross country or long distance trips, I recommend the guide book "The Next Exit". For every major freeway in the US, it lists every rest stop and every truck stop and RV-friendly restaurant/fuel station/hotel on the route. Very easy to use and very handy. http://www.thenextexit.com/
sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-03-09 5:05 PM (#117389 - in reply to #117314)

Veteran

These are all great "stories".  I do not drive our 3H, LQ, I am the co-pilot and that is not an easy job either!  I always tell my husband swing er wide.  The worst part of our camping trips is backing it into a spot.  Even if we get the same one all the time that should be an easy straight back.  He will have the truck up against a post or the trailer over by the pond or he is clipping the tree off on the hay rack.  Those poor horses must be a nervous wreck by the time they get out.  Now we sorta comprimise, I get the horses out and stand by the post to watch the front of the truck.  Some days he can just put it in there and others it takes many back and forths.  I just get quessie looking back at the trailer  going down the road rocking back and forth with the air ride suspension on that little ball!

On another note have you seen the movie "The long, long, trailer" with Lucy and Desie?  You gotta see it if you pull a long trailer and camp, it is so like us.  You'll laugh your head off and sigh because it is so true.

301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-03-09 6:52 PM (#117395 - in reply to #117260)

Veteran

Another thing to consider.  If you travel with someone that has a shorter trailer they can be your best ally moving through high traffic towns.  I used to travel with a fellow that had a 38' on the floor trailer.  I had a 26' on the floor trailer, which gave me a lot of manuevering advantage.  I sit right on the rear of his trailer, on the inside, if we were making tight turns so that he could cut the inside lane from the outside lane.  It worked out great and we could move through the big cities a lot easier helping each other out.  Just make sure you are both on the same page!
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-10 10:03 PM (#117453 - in reply to #117260)

Regular

I think I've got to rent that movie - I saw it ages and ages (and ages) ago. I'm sure I'd really think it was funny now! I can NOT wait to get enough trips under my belt to feel confident (do you ever?) and comfortable!
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-03-12 10:33 PM (#117524 - in reply to #117260)

Expert

Also, make sure you know the road heights on your route...And know how to backup rather than trying a u-turn...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)